Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi guys! Im building an application where I want to be able to have 3 USB UMTS modems in one computer. Does anyone have experience in using several modems at ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using multiple USB 3G modems in one computer

Hi guys! Im building an application where I want to be able to have 3 USB UMTS modems in one computer.

Does anyone have experience in using several modems at the same time?
    I also want them to be able to be up and running at the same time,each connected to a different network through VPN tunnels.

So far, I have connected two Option Globetrotter Mini PCI Express cards with USB cradles (this is the option embedded development kit)
    But I can use any modem, I also have two Option Globesurfer ICON that I can try If I need to, and I have PCCARD Globetrotters aswell.

If I have two USB modems they register as two seperate devices, the first getting usbtty0 to 3 and the second usbtty4-7

I use OpenSuse 10.3

do you think that will be any problems in calling with two or three modems at the same time?

Do I need to use PPP dial or can I get them to turn up like network interfaces so I can see them in IFCONFIG?

Thankfull for any advice

You got any solution?
    I have same issue I need some help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    First, make sure they are the same make/model - they can use the same driver w/ fewer conflicts. Each one will have to be given a different device/network id, such as wlan0, wlan1, wlan2, etc. You should be able to set up each using PPP. Linux looks at these broadband modems like serial modems, so you should not have a problem using more than one. As for calling "at the same time", well that is a software problem, isn't it? You can have all connected at the same time, but the VPN client that is connected with each will need to specify which device to use. Can't help you there since I haven't yet done VPN's with Linux, other than via things like Cisco VPN Java clients, and that was over my default network connection.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Route to multiple uplink

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    First, make sure they are the same make/model - they can use the same driver w/ fewer conflicts. Each one will have to be given a different device/network id, such as wlan0, wlan1, wlan2, etc. You should be able to set up each using PPP. Linux looks at these broadband modems like serial modems, so you should not have a problem using more than one. As for calling "at the same time", well that is a software problem, isn't it? You can have all connected at the same time, but the VPN client that is connected with each will need to specify which device to use. Can't help you there since I haven't yet done VPN's with Linux, other than via things like Cisco VPN Java clients, and that was over my default network connection.
    I could connect with multiple USB modem. What I want is to Route to multiple uplink

Linux User

route to multiple uplinks/provider+dhcp

Thanks I already checkd it. also found this usefull,
    But have still problem because I am using 2 dialup connection fromCDMA based mobile company. and when I connect theres only ip and DNS no getway.

Any more help? please!!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    They aren't using the same account/phone# are they (the 2 USB cell modems)? Also, as for PPP, the answer is yes. To Linux, they look just like fast USB modems, and you need to have PPP dial a special number to get the connection. I use a Sprint device on my laptop for travel, and they have a PDF that provides instructions how to use their wireless modems to connect via Linux. The instructions are rather general, and probably applicable to your situation. Here is a copy (assuming the forums allow me to upload a 2.8MB file): No luck - too big. Here is a link: http://www6.sprint.com/downloads/lin..._for_Linux.pdf

@Rubberman
    hey thanks, I already have the instruction and I can connect through linux usuing dialup modem. what I need is to merge and route 2 OR more dial up connection together to get more bandwith.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification regarding current successful usage. I haven't used PPP dialup on my current Linux systems, so I don't know in detail what needs to be done here. I have a USB celular modem which I use on my laptop with Windows, but I will be setting it up on Ubuntu for the laptop and CentOS on my workstation, so I might soon get to play with some of these same issues. I'll let you know what I find when I do that, and I'm sure we will all appreciate hearing your solution(s) when you find them.

Just Joined!
    @ megerdin & @ theVOID:

I'd like to do the same thing: I'm working on a system to monitor mobile data services that are offered by various providers.

To test these services I'd need to use multiple usb gprs/3g modems (like 6 to connected to one machine using usb (probably max 4 per usb hub ). I can't use one 3g modem because each service has its own sim card.

I tried doing a proof of concept using two different Option usb modules using a usb hub to see if linux could deal with this hardware setup and see if one or more serial devices per usb module would appear.

Unfortunately I ran into usb problems: "Unable to enumerate USB device on port X", connecting them to seperate usb controllers fixed this. But most hardware doesn't have more than 3 usb controller with external usb ports... so I really need to have multiple modems working via one usb controller.

Did anybody build a setup with multiple usb modems and minds sharing the hardware, usb, mobile usb modems used?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast