Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed FC8 today. It has installed the wifi driver automatically. But the problem is that i am unable to get ip from access point(dhcp). My ap is using WPA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wifi problem, Your attention Please

I installed FC8 today. It has installed the wifi driver automatically. But the problem is that i am unable to get ip from access point(dhcp). My ap is using WPA key.

When I run "iwlist wlan0 scan" It shows the AP and the signal stregth etc.
    But when I use my networkmanager to make my Wlan active, it fails.

Knetworkmanager is not working(I dont know why)??

Plz tell me how do i configure my wifi. I installed FC8 with the hope of wifi. Now my wifi driver is OK but still unlucky.....

Plz help.....

This WIFI has really taken me down...

edit:
    I have intel duo core2 so that is why i am using 86_64 instead of i386.
    tell me if this is the problem

Linux Guru
    There is a chance that you need to have firmware loaded for the wireless to work. But first, more information about the wireless is needed. Enter this into a terminal and post the output.
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    You can also look through the startup messages for anything about the wireless. Enter this command.
    Code:
    dmesg
    This will output a lot, look through it all and post any wireless errors.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I have noticed that my wpa_supplicant service is not starting correctly. When i start it manually it gives me a dbus error.

How can i start my wpa_supplicant?? Plz help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Before you start chasing down problems with wpa_supplicant, you need to know the make of your wireless chipset. Please post the output of the commands that I asked for in my previous post.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

You can as root:

Code:
    # system-config-network
    and if there is a blank check box next to "Controlled by NetworkManager" check it. Leave blank "Activate when Computer Starts" check the box "Enable all users to enable and disable the device". Don't check the box in "Services" for "wpa_supplicant" as it will be started by NetworkManager. You may have to reboot to see the changes take effect. You should then see NetworkManager applet in your panel, click on it and you should see any access ponts listed, I hope.

Just Joined!
    ok i worked out a lot. There is nothing wrong with the wpa service. I got the network manager in the panel. That manger is even showing the wireless networks in range. but when i ask to connect to the AP, it keep on asking the WPA key from me. I have noticed that when it takes the key from me, It sends it to the AP but the AP does'nt responds, because the upper green light of the network manager never goes green, it always remains gray. Well the out put of dmesg that is related to the wlan is given below. Thank you very much for helping me out. I think I am very close to using internet in My lovely FC8

wlan0: association frame received from 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae, but not in associate state - ignored
    wlan0: No ProbeResp from current AP 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae - assume out of range
    wlan0: No STA entry for own AP 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae
    wlan0: Initial auth_alg=0
    wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae
    wlan0: authentication with AP 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae timed out
    wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
    wlan0: RX authentication from 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae (alg=0 transaction=2 status=0)
    wlan0: authenticated
    wlan0: associate with AP 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae
    wlan0: authentication frame received from 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae, but not in authenticate state - ignored
    wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=4)
    wlan0: associated
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
    wlan0: association frame received from 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae, but not in associate state - ignored
    wlan0: No ProbeResp from current AP 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae - assume out of range
    wlan0: No STA entry for own AP 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae
    wlan0: authentication with AP 00:1a:70:5a:5e:ae timed out
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP):
    wlan0: link is not ready