Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi , im new to linux . ive used it a few years ago but i can't really remember anything ,. i got my hands on a red hat enterprise ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting Up Wireless Network in red hat enterprise 5

Hi , im new to linux . ive used it a few years ago but i can't really remember anything ,. i got my hands on a red hat enterprise 5 copy and ive installed it But i can't connect to my wireless network. im using Dell Inspiron 1300 And my wireless card called "Dell Wireless 1370" and i think that its a broadcom chipset . I think that red hat found the drivers but i still can't connect . there isn't a way to see a list of all the wireless networks that i can connect to and just hit connect ? .
    I remember a command called "iwconfig" and "ifconfig" and that its got something to do with the network settings , but when i open a new terminal in red hat and i type this command im getting an error saying that the command does not exist ...
    If any1 could help me with this one it will be great ...
    Thanks.

Linux Guru
    To know more about the wireless card, enter this in a terminal, and post the output.
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    If it is a Broadcom wireless, there is a good chance that it needs firmware loaded to work. Run this command.
    Code:
    dmesg
    Look through the output for a message about the wireless needing firmware, and post it. This is how I got mine to work.

As for running commands in Red Hat/Fedora. Many times you need to specify the location of the function that you are trying to run. The first command that I listed above is a good example.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Ive tried the commands and now im sure, red hat find the drivers . i just can't Connect , probably because i dont know how . In most linux operation the ive used in the past , they had the wireless assistant that shows all the networks That you have and allows you to connect to them . the thing is that ive downloaded wireless assitant and i can't install it , something about KDE is missing . isn't there a way to connect to wireless networks inside of RHEL 5 ?

Linux Guru
    I've asked you twice for the information that is needed to help you. You still have not provided the information.

I will not ask again.

Good luck, I hope someone else will help you. I'm done

Edit: I'll have to bite my tongue, I only asked you once! I must have confused you with another poster.

OK, Please post what I asked for. I will still help you

(That awful sound you just heard is me swallowing my pride)
    Last edited by waterhead; 02-17-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Because I'm a stupid jerk!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.