Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I tinkered around with a ton of Linux distro's about 6 months ago and since my computer is up in my room with no way of getting wired ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A good distro for me

Hello everyone,

I tinkered around with a ton of Linux distro's about 6 months ago and since my computer is up in my room with no way of getting wired Internet, I have to go wireless. Every distro that I downloaded from Windows and tried to install wouldn't connect to the Internet because I have WPA encryption on my router. Too high of a security setting for most distro's to handle without a lot of tweaks that aren't very newbie friendly. I'm not a newbie but I'm close enough to that to not want to have to go through a ton of tweaks and hacks to get it working.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 now and it works by default with WPA encryption. I'm wondering what else is out there that supports WPA encryption without going to a ton of trouble to get it working? I'm happy with Ubuntu, I'm just always looking for the best thing out there though, and if something can handle WPA, I'm willing to give it a shot and see if the rest of my needs are met by it (iPod support being the second biggest after WPA).

Thanks for your advice,

Matt Segstro

Linux Guru
    I think that your trouble may not be WPA, but with drivers.

Ubuntu is know to offer "restricted" drivers (aka-not open source). Also. many cards need firmware install to use the Linux drivers. It all depends on the wireless chipset that your card has.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

Ok

Thanks for your reply but I don't think that's my problem. My neighbours have unsecured wireless Internet and on just about every distro I've tried, I can connect using theirs. So I'm thinking it's not likely an issues with drivers but with the encryption. I know that WPA support is quite new for most distro's, because on lots of other forums, the answer that people get with questions like mine, in regards to a specific distro, is that it's not supported. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

Matt