Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have just completed a successful run with ndiswrapper (built from source instead of the default package) and PClinuxOS. I haven't used PClinuxOS before, so I'm not sure if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ndiswrapper and PClinuxOS

Hello, I have just completed a successful run with ndiswrapper (built from source instead of the default package) and PClinuxOS. I haven't used PClinuxOS before, so I'm not sure if I should be taking the same steps, but...

My card is a WMP54Gv4.1 and I used Rt61.INF, rt61.cat and rt61.sys for installation files. Everything went successfully. I ended up removing the rt61-firmware package since it wouldn't work in the first place and was conflicting with ndiswrapper.

Now, I remember in Ubuntu how I had to add ndiswrapper in a 'modules' file for modprobe on boot-up. I already used the commands (in this order) ndiswrapper -m and depmod -a...

Will this card connect on a fresh system boot up? After I turn off the computer it needs to find and connect to the network again, because my family has no idea how to do any of this and I don't want to be bothered by it when I'm at work or miles away in another town...

Linux Guru
    Try rebooting, and see what happens.

Most wireless connections require a password before it connects. There usually is a password manager that will store them. This too will require a password. When I boot in Fedora 8, the keyring manager asks for it's password, then it connects. In Suse 10.2 KWallet does exactly the same thing.

This means the connection will initially fail, until the user is logged in.

If the NDISwrapper module does not load, you may have to add it to the /etc/modprobe.d folder. When I first load the ndiswrapper module I also give these commands.
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -ma
    ndiswrapper -mi
    I haven't had to add it to the modprobe.d folder, as I find it is already there.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.