Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. First, let me say I am new to Linux, but I find it very interesting. I have an old Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop that I have installed Damn Small ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

compiling wlan driver

Hi. First, let me say I am new to Linux, but I find it very interesting. I have an old Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop that I have installed Damn Small Linux to. It now works better and faster than it ever did with Windows on it

Now I am trying to install a wlan card that I got for it, and EDIMax EW7108PCG, which uses the rt2500 chipset. I have downloaded the driver for it but am now having problems compiling it. I am getting the error
    Code:
    Makefile:154: /lib/modules/2.4.26/build/Rules.make: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target '/lib/modules/2.4.26/build/Rules.make'. Stop.
    I am guessing that there are some additional resources / packages that I need but I am at a loss as to what.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Linux Guru
    You usually need the kernel sources installed to compile modules. Make sure that you get the exact version that matches your kernel. To find the kernel that you are running, enter this command in a terminal.
    Code:
    uname -r
    It is best to use the system's update/package manager to do this.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    OK,
    Code:
    uname -r
    reports kernal 2.4.26
    So I downloaded kernelsource.dsl using the myDSL extension tool. The description for this file shows kernel sources for version 2.4.26-knoppix.

After installing these, I tried to make the driver again but I am still getting the same error??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You have an old style kernel with the 2.4 version. I'm sure this has something to do with it. Is the file that it is looking for in that folder?

Did you install the sources yourself, or did you let the update tool do it?

There may be other module packages that you need to install. Look for one with your kernel version. You may even find your wireless driver as a module package.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I also found the kernel headers - 'linux-kernel-headers.dsl', and the standard C libraries - 'libc6.dsl & libc6dev.dsl' and installed those with no luck.

I also tried
    Code:
    root@box:/# find -name "Rules.make"
    (I think that is right) to see if the file was even on the hard drive anywhere but there were no results.

I could not find any other modules that might have anything to do with make or the kernel, but then again I'm new to all this so I'm not really sure what I am looking for. Where else might I look for it?

Thanks for all the help.

[edit]
    Sorry, didn't see the last response. I let the update tool do the install. The rt2x00 project seems to be pretty popular but there was no myDSL extension for it.

Linux Guru
    I think that you may have to do things differently in MyDSL. I don't have any experience with MyDSL, and that subject goes beyond the scope of wireless help.

I have used SLAX, which uses pre-compiled modules. I think that this is because it is usually installed on machines that are not capable of compiling anything.

There is some info about this on the MyDSL wiki. I think that you may want to use the tar.gz.method.

Linux Guru
    It looks as if you may be able to get this card working with NDISwrapper. I hope that there is a pre-compiled NDISwrapper driver for MyDSL. Here is a list of supported wireless cards.
    Verified Wireless Cards - DSL Wiki

There is this entry:
    Cnet CWP-854 PCI: Works well with the supplied RT2500.INF driver for XP via ndiswrapper
    EDIT: Here is a link to this subject in the DSL forums. It's a bit old, but may provide some info.
    iB::Topic::Compiling custom kernel for rt2500