Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using ubuntu on an older PII Tosh laptop with a new D-Link wireless card. The installation seemed to go well and the wireless card light is on but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless card not talking to internet

I am using ubuntu on an older PII Tosh laptop with a new D-Link wireless card. The installation seemed to go well and the wireless card light is on but I cannot get the internet working..

Can anyone help.. I have posted here as many of the commands I can think of to save wasting time

I tried to include them in this message boy but I kept on getting an error saying.. You have included 7 images in your message...

so I have attached a small txt file..

Thanks

Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do you have the Microsoft Windows drivers for the card handy? You might be able to install them using a program called ndiswrapper.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    More detailed information is needed. If this is a pcmcia card, enter this command in a terminal and post the output.
    Code:
    lspci
    If it is a USB card, use this command.
    Code:
    lsusb
    There may be error messages that can help determine the problem. Enter this command and post any relevant messages that you find. It will be displayed one page at a time, for easier viewing. Use "page down" key to view next page.
    Code:
    dmesg | less
    Also, post the modules that are loading on your system. You can get them with this command.
    Code:
    lsmod
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Wireless problem

Thanks for the replies.. but guess what I solved it more by good luck than good management. I read on one website that when you set up a wireless card and decide to put in the wep key as text you MUST put quotes around the key// guess what I hadnt !.. so I changed it to hexadecimal and put the same SSID key in and it worked !!!

Well worth noting !

Thanks again

Linux Guru
    WEP is not considered to be very safe. It is better to use WPA encryption.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

Wep

Yes you are right.. so when I get chance I am going to move over to WPA

Thx