Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I wanted to install Ralink RT73 driver from source and can't seem to compile it. Here is the "make" output I recieved: Code: sudo make make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/build ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] RT73 USB Wireless Driver Compilation Problem

Hello everyone,

I wanted to install Ralink RT73 driver from source and can't seem to compile it. Here is the "make" output I recieved:

Code:
    sudo make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/build SUBDIRS=/home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24-ARCH'
    scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS.  Stop.
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24-ARCH'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Any help as to how I can actually get this beast to compile would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Ryan

I did some digging around for you and seemed to come up with this answer before my browser crashed. Try using this code.
    Code:
    sudo make KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1
    If it doesn't work, no harm done, we'll try a different approach.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. Here is the output:

Code:
    sudo make KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/build SUBDIRS=/home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24-ARCH'
      CC [M]  /home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/rtmp_main.o
    /home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/rtmp_main.c: In function ‘usb_rtusb_probe’:
    /home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/rtmp_main.c:1030: error: implicit declaration of function ‘SET_MODULE_OWNER’
    /home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/rtmp_main.c:1048: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘weight’
    /home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/rtmp_main.c:1070: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘dev_get_by_name’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/rtmp_main.c:1070: error: too few arguments to function ‘dev_get_by_name’
    /home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/rtmp_main.c:1060: warning: unused variable ‘device’
    make[2]: *** [/home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module/rtmp_main.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/ryan/compressed/RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.0.4.0/Module] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.24-ARCH'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Ahh, but it did work, if you'll notice the error is different this time. I'm pretty tired right now and I'm not too sure about this error either, So I'm going to leave you here with the hopes that someone else will help you.
    PS, Try logging in as root, instead of using Sudo
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!

Problem Solved!

I have solved the problem. Instead of using the Ralink drivers, I used the driver found here:

Downloads - Rt2x00Wiki

Compiled and installed just fine!