Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm exploring Linux to see if it is a viable alternative to Windows for me. I'd especially like to use it for online use. I don't really know much about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter

I'm exploring Linux to see if it is a viable alternative to Windows for me. I'd especially like to use it for online use. I don't really know much about Linux, but I've tried various flavors of it, both from live CDs as well as hard drive installations.

None of these seem to recognize my Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter. I have the unit connected when either booting from a live CD or installing it into a drive, hoping the system would see it, but to no avail.

So far I've tried Unbuntu, openSUSE, Limpos(?), gOS, and just now Mandriva ONE. Is there such a thing as a linux install that recognizes USB wireless adapters? I not sure how to modify any of these if there's something the install overlooks.

Thanks for any info on this.

Linux Guru
    As far as I know, there are no Linux drivers for "N" type wireless. But don't be discouraged! You should be able to get this to work using NDISwrapper. You will need a WindowsXP driver for this wireless. You should have one on an installation CD, or download it from the manufacturer's web site.

If there is a WindowsXP only driver, use that. Vista drivers are not supported.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by vidrazor View Post
    I'm exploring Linux to see if it is a viable alternative to Windows for me. I'd especially like to use it for online use. I don't really know much about Linux, but I've tried various flavors of it, both from live CDs as well as hard drive installations.

None of these seem to recognize my Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter. I have the unit connected when either booting from a live CD or installing it into a drive, hoping the system would see it, but to no avail.

So far I've tried Unbuntu, openSUSE, Limpos(?), gOS, and just now Mandriva ONE. Is there such a thing as a linux install that recognizes USB wireless adapters? I not sure how to modify any of these if there's something the install overlooks.

Thanks for any info on this.
    Hiya vidrazor,
    You could try downloading another Distro like Sabayon, (LiveCD) I have had several different machines, each with a different Wireless card and they all worked with Sabayon. I think it has the best Wireless support of any Distro. Each time I installed it, all I had to do was enter the WEP key and presto, I'm online. Keep in mind that not all cards are supported but it just may work for you too. Another thing is, Sabayon is a source based Distro, which means it can take a long time to install software.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close