Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 Wireless Adapters are not that expensive these days. I am assuming D-Link or Belkin would be my best bet for Linux. What does everybody else think? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    Wireless Adapters are not that expensive these days. I am assuming D-Link or Belkin would be my best bet for Linux. What does everybody else think?
    Realistically, it doesn't matter which brand name you buy whether it's a Belkin, Buffalo or Dlink, The important thing is the chipset that powers it. I know for a fact that Belkin uses Broadcom and or Atheros chips and possibly others too. If it were me, I would make sure to avoid using anything with a Broadcom chip, I just have so much trouble trying to help others get these damn things working.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    ...If it were me, I would make sure to avoid using anything with a Broadcom chip, I just have so much trouble trying to help others get these damn things working.
    I wouldn't go that far. My laptop has a Broadcom wireless in it too. It really is not that hard to set up, and it works pretty good too. The latest Linux driver for Broadcom (b43) works pretty good. You just need to install the firmware for it. Now, not all Broadcom chipsets work as well as mine (BCM4306).
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. My laptop has a Broadcom wireless in it too. It really is not that hard to set up, and it works pretty good too. The latest Linux driver for Broadcom (b43) works pretty good. You just need to install the firmware for it. Now, not all Broadcom chipsets work as well as mine (BCM4306).
    Exactly, my sister has a laptop with the same card (BCM4306). I have never had a problem with this card on any distro, but I can't seem to help others get the same card working on many distro's. I just find them too difficult when I'm trying to help someone configure theirs.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

And on the 8th day, God created PCI !!!

Ok, I hung in there a little while longer with my Netgear USB card. Tried every slot on my computer and did everything I could think of. No luck. That was when I noticed the 15 gallons of water coming from the washing machine. Damn roommates!!

I was so mad about that washing machine that I went out and bought a Linksys WMP54G v4.51 PCI card. Put it in, setup my wireless connection WITHOUT having to install anything. Worked right off the bat. Game over, we win, Linux rocks, and I didn't have to kill my #&%$-ing roommate.

You guys kick butt, thanks for all your help and suggestions. It was everything you all taught my that helped me get this up and running. Thank you!

Kev

P.S. Can we get a mod to add [SOLVED] to the title, please? Thanks!
    Using Linux since June 2007
    Distros: Mint 16 KDE
    SPECS: AMD Atholon 64 X2 3.2 Ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce GTS 250 1GB VRAM
    When your whole life is on one computer, servers and all, choose stability over anything else.

Very Cool, and Congrats bro!
    What chipset does it use?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Very Cool, and Congrats bro!
    What chipset does it use?
    Tell me how I can find out and I will let you know.
    When your whole life is on one computer, servers and all, choose stability over anything else.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post
    Tell me how I can find out and I will let you know.
    Use this.
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nn
    It will list all of the PCI devices, along with the device ID numbers.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Is this what you need??

00:0b.0 Network controller [0280]: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI [1814:0301]

Linux Guru
    That's it. If you ever need any help with it, this is the info that is needed. I bet if you run this command you will now see rt2x00 or rt61.
    Code:
    /sbin/lsmod
    Here is a link to the driver wiki;
    Main Page - Rt2x00Wiki

Yep! I see rt61. I don't need the driver though. I have internet connection.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3