Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I need your help (again? ). Here is my situation... Before a robbery back in October, I use to have a computer in my room, which was wirelessly connected ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Accessing the web through an adjacent laptop?

Hello, I need your help (again?).

Here is my situation... Before a robbery back in October, I use to have a computer in my room, which was wirelessly connected to the net. After said robbery, I built new machines out of the remaining parts, and set them up in our family room next to our router, since my wireless bridge was taken as well. I now what to setup one of these machines in my room again.

I'm planning to purchase an Asus Eee PC laptop for other reasons, and I was wondering if I could use this to get internet on the machine in my room. This would save a bit of money. I was also wondering what kind of signal I should expect. The wireless module on the Asus Eee seems to be close to what I would get with a wireless bridge. My router only supports 802.11b and 802.11g, so 802.11n wouldn't work anyway, right?

Just Joined!
    In a word, yes. You can set up a network bridge on the laptop that will let anything connected to the ethernet use the wireless connection. I've been using a similar setup on my Fujitsu Siemens laptop since my new wireless card isn't working properly (Which is why I'm on this forum in the first place). The speed difference is negligible, as well. You'll get the same sort of speed on the desktop computer as you do on the laptop.