Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
All of the developmental files should be available from the installation CD. I don't know which version that you are using, but in 7.10 you would do the following: From ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

All of the developmental files should be available from the installation CD. I don't know which version that you are using, but in 7.10 you would do the following:

From the menu, chose System-->Administration-->Software Sources. Click on the Third Party tab and make sure that there is only a check next to the CDROM choice. If there is no CDROM choice, insert the installation CD. It may ask if you want to open it with the package manager (Synaptic). If the other options are unchecked, then click OK.

Open the Synaptic Package Manager, if it isn't already open. It is in the System-->Administration menu. Look for the packages that I said to install. If you can find b43-fwcutter, that may be all you need. Otherwise you still need to compile it from the sources that you already downloaded. Look for these programs:

b43-fwcutter (version 011)
    libc6
    libc6-dev
    linux-libc-dev
    g++
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

S_U
    Just Joined!

Wubi

I used Wubi to install it so i could have both os on same laptop

Code:
    Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way. Are you curious about Linux and Ubuntu? Trying them out has never been easier!

Linux Guru
    That's fine. I see Ubuntu tries to make Linux easy and available to the masses.

So, how's it going with the wireless?
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    That's fine. I see Ubuntu tries to make Linux easy and available to the masses.

So, how's it going with the wireless?
    8.04 normal install with a ath chipset... it's easier then killing vampires when made of sun light.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeth View Post
    8.04 normal install with a ath chipset... it's easier then killing vampires when made of sun light.
    That's nice, except this thread isn't about 8.04 and ath chipsets.

S_U
    Just Joined!

Wubi

Yh, Wireless no luck

Wubi has no live cd so i have no idea how im going to install those apps

Linux Guru
    This "easy" method of using Linux is looking like it is more trouble than it's worth. I would suggest that you boot windows and download the iso for your version of Ubuntu, and burn it to a CD. Then you can use that CD in Ubuntu to get the files that you need.

I really would suggest installing Ubuntu from the CD, not Wubi. If there is enough room to install with Wubi, then there is enough room to create a partition for a regular install.

S_U
    Just Joined!

I have

I just downloaded the iso and i want to run it as a live cd before i make any decisions but when i boot up i can hear the disk loading but it doesnt and it just freezes at that screen

Linux Guru
    Running a "live" Linux CD requires a lot of RAM memory. If you do not have much, it will run very slow, and seem to freeze up.

Just use it as the source for the programs that you needed to compile the b43-fwcutter-011 program. I described in an earlier post how to do that.

Sorry about putting down your choice of Linux installation method. I am a little frustrated, this really shouldn't be such big deal to do. It should only take 10-15 minutes to do, tops! I've done this several times, but with a wired internet connection. I also just install to a separate partition or hard drive.

If you do decide to install the "traditional" way, make room by first removing any files and programs from Windows that you really don't need. Then run the disk defragmenter, several times. I have noticed that it doesn't always compact the partiton very tight on the first one or two tries. The Ubuntu installer will then split the drive into the needed partitions. Keep at least 20GB for Windows.

S_U
    Just Joined!

Catn

The wireless cd wont run, i cleaned my ram but still not working so i cant compile

Im thinking to install ubuntu linux full stop but i love windows too much, what do u think?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast