Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi, I have a d-link dwl-g650+ pcmcia card. Im using fedora 8 and i have tried to set it up for a couple of days. I need a linux driver, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

D-Link DWL-G650+ H/D:B1

Hi,
    I have a d-link dwl-g650+ pcmcia card. Im using fedora 8 and i have tried to set it up for a couple of days. I need a linux driver, even though i can set it up with ndsiwrapper. i was following this guide Distribution list/Fedora - ACX100/ACX111 wireless network driver project but i was completely lost when i reached the part to Build, install and add acx to the kernel.

#dkms build -m tiacx -v 0.4.7-3
    when i executed this command the following error showed everytime.
    Error! Your kernel source for kernel 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 cannot be found at
    /lib/modules/2.6.23.1-42.fc8/build or /lib/modules/2.6.23.1-42.fc8/source.
    You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.

I have installed the the src.rpm for my current kernel, kernel-devel, kernel-headers...etc . the source is located in /usr/src/redhat and i tried by giving a link to it too, but it kept showing the same error. I was hoping that someone could point me to the right direction.

I noticed that there were acx firmwares located in /lib/firmware (tiacx111c16, tiacx100). Maybe i have to simply load it only. but i dont know.

I have an inbuilt intel ipw2200BG wireless card which works fine.

here is the infor that i get from lspci -nn
    524:0551] (rev 01)
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface [104c:9066]

uname -r
    2.6.23.1-42.fc8

Any help would be very much appriciated. Thanks in advance
    Nabaachy

Linux Guru
    On my Fedora 8 install the kernel source is located in the /usr/src/kernel folder.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Newbie

Hi

Hi waterhead!
    Thanks for the response. Last night i did fresh install of fedora8, BTW im using the kde live cd to install. now that i a have fresh installation i checked for kernel source and i found it in /lib/modules/2.6.23.1-42.fc8 only. i have the source and build there. So, what do you suggest me to do, in order to get this card up and running. Any help would be great.
    BTW /usr/src is empty now.

Nabaachy

Linux Guru
    The actual kernel source is in /usr/src/kernel/ and is from the kernel-devel package. The /lib/modules/ folder is part of the kernel package. If you have everything, have you tried to compile it again?

I'm not familiar with the ACX wireless. Here is the listing of it at Linux Wireless.org:
    acx1xx - Linux Wireless

There is a mention of it needing firmware installed to work. I also see a link to a ACX wiki.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    I see that there are two versions of the driver at SourceForge.net. I think that you should try the acx-mac80211 version. You don't compile the driver, you insert the supplied driver into the kernel sources, and re-compile the modules.

Check out the README file in the driver folder for more info.

Linux Newbie
    Hi,
    just now i have installed the kernel-devel package, and the /kernel folder appeared in the /usr/src. I will look into and give it a try. i will keep you posted. BTW i dont have much knowledge about this kernel stuff, but im learning.
    thanks

Nabaachy

Linux Guru
    Before you make any changes to the kernel, do an update. You may as well get the latest kernel. After any future kernel updates, you will have to re-install the ACX driver.

Linux Newbie

Patch

Hi,
    After i updated the system, im following the first tutorial link that i posted in my first post, because i read the readme in mac version, and i dont understand it at all.

Now it is going as stated in the tutorial and im at the stage where i have to patch the kernel to overcome the error (bad exit status: 2).
    [root@localhost]# dkms build -m tiacx -v 0.4.7-3

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
    cleaning build area....
    make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.24.7-92.fc8 -C /lib/modules/2.6.24.7-92.fc8/build M=/var/lib/dkms/tiacx/0.4.7-3/build....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.24.7-92.fc8 (i686)
    Consult the make.log in the build directory
    /var/lib/dkms/tiacx/0.4.7-3/build/ for more information

i went ahead to FedoraForum.org - Unable to build acx111 driver on new kernel 2.6.20.2925.fc6-i586 (post#12) and got the patch. but i have no idea where to apply it in the common.h file. in the patch file there is something like "@@ -4829,10 +4829,10 @@", "@@ -4948,8 +4948,7 @@", before each function starts.

may be 4xxx is indicating the line number where i have to paste? do you think it will be a problem if i attach the patch file here? because from the original link posted in fedoraforum.org is no longer availabe.

Thanks
    Nabaachy

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure what patch you are trying to use. The only link to a patch that I found was dead.

Besides, those instructions are for an older kernel. The reason I recommended the mac80211 version is because the newer kernels use it for wireless drivers. The instructions for it are fairly straightforward. You actually add the files to the source, and then re-compile the modules. It looks pretty simple.

Let me know what it is that you don't understand. I'll help you to understand.

Linux Newbie
    Hi waterhead,
    First of all i would like to thank you for your effort. i really appreciate it.

heres my status in mac version.

Build instructions in the readme file:

* Create drivers/net/wireless/acx subdirectory inside <===== Done!
    your kernel tree.
    * BTW, if your kernel has drivers/net/wireless/tiacx directory, <=====Dosnt have!
    you already may have acx driver (some different version).
    Decide which one do you want.
    * Unpack tarball into drivers/net/wireless/acx directory. <=====Done!
    * Add a line to drivers/net/wireless/Makefile: <=====Done!
    obj-m += acx/
    * Build your modules as usual (perhaps "make modules modules_install"). <===Dont know how

I cd into the acx directory (/usr/src/kernels/2.6.24.7-92.fc8-i686/drivers/net/wireless/acx) and gave the command
    #make module
    make: *** No rule to make target `module'. Stop. <===== i got this error
    Or i should be in another folder?because there are makefile's in most of the folders
    Can you please guide me through the building process, i have installed all the things needed to compile like, gcc...etc

BTW i got the patch from another mirrow. here is the link i found from google.Index of /pub/linux/kernel/people/linville/wireless-2.6/tiacx

Thanks again
    Nabaachy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast