Find the answer to your Linux question:
I own a Toshiba Satellite L40, 1GB Ram, with a modem and wireless card. I am able to use the wireless card to connect to internet (using ADSL) modem, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    pnp
    Just Joined!

wireless card cannot show in Toshiba Satellite L40

I own a Toshiba Satellite L40, 1GB Ram, with a modem and wireless card. I am able to use the wireless card to connect to internet (using ADSL) modem, but when I try to set it up in Ubuntu 8.04, it does not even show in the network settings window. I don't know if that requires it to first be installed (that is by software), or whether I have to turn something on.

Please help

pnp

wireless cards are getting better but mostly are hit and miss with linux. first thing you will need to find is the chipset of the wireless card. if all else fails find something called the ndiswrapper and install it. then it will need the windows driver that you will use with ndiswrapper.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

pnp
    Just Joined!
    Thank you for the reply. I found a tutorial on the infternet which helped me to install ndiswrapper, and to further install the windows driver. I had found my wireless card to be Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter; I was as a result able to find its Windows driver. I tried to follow the tutorial to install it as well. But still the card does not work in ubuntu, and when I check the windows wireless drivers, the driver is indicated as invalid. I might have missed one or some of the steps in the tutorial I referred to. In short, ndswrapper has been installed, the windows wireless driver, netrtuw, has been installed; now I don't know what to do next. I am actually a novice in ubuntu.

pnp

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The windows driver must be the WinXP driver for your card. I did a little searching, and came up with this one from Toshiba's European web site:
    http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-...1120145654.zip

After you unzip it, go to the folder /Wireless Network Driver Realtek/RTL8187B/WINXP. In there you will find these files:

net8187b.cat
    net8187b.inf
    rtl8187B.sys

NDISwrapper uses the .inf file for the setup and configuration, and you need to give the path to the file. If the username is pnp, then you would enter this (as root):
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -i /home/pnp/Wireless\ Network\ Driver\ Realtek/RTL8187B/WINXP/net8187b.inf
    The reason for the backslashes is because of the spaces in the folder name. If you don't get any errors, then check to see if it is properly installed with this command
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    If everything looks good, then enter these commands, one at a time (as root):
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -m
    ndiswrapper -ma
    ndiswrapper -mi
    Now it is best to reboot, and then configure the wireless as a network card.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

pnp
    Just Joined!

Wireless card on Toshiba L40

Thank you Waterhead, I followed your instructions, downloaded the driver from http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-...1120145654.zip and unzipped it into my /home directory. Tried to install it using ndiswrapper, it said access denied, I then went to system>administration>Windows Wireless Drivers, and used it to install the new driver, it worked fine. The driver was installed and immediately the wireless network card was available in system>administration>network, thank you once more. That means the card is now detected, I am now having trouble configure it so that it works. It keeps on asking for the passphrase, I do have the network key, which I use when connecting to internet from the Windows vista side, as I dual boot vista with ubuntu, I would expect the same key to be used on the side of ubuntu. So the problem is mainly how to configure the card to work; I have tried it for the last 36 hours, to no avail.

A few commands give the following output:

phaello@phaello-laptop:~$ ndiswrapper -l

net8187b : driver installed

device (0BDA:8197) present

phaello@phaello-laptop:~$ modprobe ndiswrapper

phaello@phaello-laptop:~$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

[sudo] password for phaello:

phaello@phaello-laptop:~$ iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any

Mode:Managed Frequency:2.457 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated

Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3

RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off

Power Management:off

Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

phaello@phaello-laptop:~$

pnp

Just Joined!

Alternative suggestion

Hi pnp - just a suggestion. I too have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 (with the rtl8187b wireless card) and wrestled with setting up the wireless connection for over a month. The solution was to install Ubuntu 7.10 and follow the instructions provided here Dark White Polyphony: rtl8187b linux native driver works on Ubuntu . It worked first time!! Note that this does NOT seem to work with Ubuntu 8.04.

pnp
    Just Joined!

wireless card cannot show in Toshiba Satellite L40

Thank you lyddom, it is really sad to have a nice os like ubuntu 8.04 to not work with my wireless.

pnp

Just Joined!

wireless driver for toshiba satellite L402

hi, i have the same problem with my toshiba satellite L402, when using vista my wireless internet is working but when i tried to use wXP i cant use the wireless internet connection even though i have installed the realtek driver. What seems to be the problem, can anybody give me the step by step procedure on how to install it. thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    This is a Linux help forum, not a Windows help forum. If you need help with Windows, you need to go to a Windows help forum.
    Last edited by waterhead; 10-22-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Edited reply
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.