Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
That link may be too old to be of any use, I just thought it might help explain that last line. I don't believe that the wired LAN card needs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

That link may be too old to be of any use, I just thought it might help explain that last line.

I don't believe that the wired LAN card needs firmware, so I don't know why it won't work. Since SuSE 10.1 is getting rather old, you could try updating to the newest driver version.
    Broadcom Licence<br>Agreement

There are instructions on how to install with either the .rpm file or the .tar file that are both included. There are also instructions for using the command ethtool for setting up the card, you may need to do this.

As for the Atheros card, you should update the driver for this too. Here is a link with info on the driver, including setup info. If you want the latest driver, get the SVN version.
    madwifi - Linux Wireless

You need to have HAL installed (hardware abstraction layer). On my Fedora laptop, I have this installed:
    hal
    hal-info
    hal-libs
    hal-devel
    SuSE packages will have different names, but you get the idea. I see that there is also a madwifi kernel module available. This would be needed if you installed madwifi from a repository with YaST, or another package manager. When you install the driver from source, it will make it's own kernel module. If you later upgrade kernels, you will need to re-make the driver module.

I hope this helps you in getting some results. If I understand correctly, you now have no internet connection with this PC. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I looks as if the Madwifi site is down, I noticed this yesterday too. You'll have to wait until it's back up, to upgrade that driver.
    Last edited by waterhead; 06-21-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added edit
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    I was looking over the last output of dmesg that you posted, when I noticed this:
    Code:
    martian source 255.255.255.255 from 73.132.152.1, on dev eth0
    The Netmask should usually be this:

If you can change it, it may help.

Also, I don't think that it is identifying your wireless correctly:
    Code:
    ath_hal: 0.9.18.0 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413, RF5413)
    wifi0: Atheros 5212: mem=0xfe3e0000, irq=5
    I think that the first line represents the chipsets that it supports, yours is not listed. I don't know how to change this, except to try upgrading the driver. Since the madwifi site is down, I did locate a How-To for the 5007EG chipset here, where he has a link to a later version.
    http://www.scottro.net/madwifi-hal-0...0080604.tar.gz

I would still try to get the latest from madwifi when the site is back up.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Thanks again. I'll check out HAL, but I'm already using the latest version of madwifi, so that isn't it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2