Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running Mandriva spring 2008 and I just installed a MSI PC60G wireless card in the system, I did the internet setup and everything went fine, I was able too see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Wireless connection issue.

Running Mandriva spring 2008 and I just installed a MSI PC60G wireless card in the system, I did the internet setup and everything went fine, I was able too see all the routers in my area including mine. Connected perfectly too my router with a 80% signal, Now, this is where it gets really confusing I can see my router but I am not too hit any sites on the internet. I check the firewall options switch configuration back and forth with no luck. It's very strange, I even plugged back the USB wireless unit i was using that I thought was bad because it did the same thing, this is why I went out and bought this new MSI PC60G card hoping for a different results.

Very, very strange. Any help will be much appreciated. My son is very anxious to start using his Mandriva system.

Are you going DHCP? Or are you using a static ip? If static, did you check the DNS addresses?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    It is set up with DHCP.

It's very strange, if I plug in the cat5 cable bamm I'm on the net surfing if I try and connect with the wireless connection it's a no go, I see my router and it shows I am connected too my router, but I am unable to connect too the net.

Then the only thing I can think of is essid and/or encryption. Rather than using "any," try changing essid to the actual name the router gives. Any encryption on this network? If so, try shutting it off to rule it out as a factor.

Just Joined!
    Naw I don't have any encryption on my router, I let my neighbors use it when I'm at work, they pitch in $$$$ so no their is no encryption.

I checked the router and at the time I was trying to access it there where no users accessing it except mine, I did see my PC accessing it so I was very confused

Linux Guru
    Have you tried setting the default gateway to the wireless IP address? In my Fedora 8 setup, it's called the Primary DNS, or use the Secondary DNS slot if the primary is already taken. Your distro may be different, but there should be a spot to enter this info.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Okay, now I am really confused I am a noobie in a high tek world, when I thought I had my skillz down I been seated down in my place of I don't know Shhhhhh_t.

installed Mandriva on my notebook, installed the driver and BAMMM everything went as plan , notebook is doing the same thing as my son's pc is doing, I can see all routers in my area including mine, connected too my router and no internet

I made the changes as you said Waterhead, with no changes too both systems.

Any other suggestions Waterhead or Dapper Dan?

by the way thank you for your help.

Just Joined!
    Figured it out. It was my router, router finally took a dump on me.

Glad to hear you got it sorted! Strangely enough, my old warhorse Linksys wireless G gave up the ghost just a few days ago.