Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Please excuse my total lack of knowledge but I hope you can answer a simple question I have. I have bought a little Asus Eeepc and went for the Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux and broadband dongles

Please excuse my total lack of knowledge but I hope you can answer a simple question I have.

I have bought a little Asus Eeepc and went for the Linux as people say its better than the windows version.

It has wireless but I don't at home so I would like to get one of these
    Deal Summary

Would it work with Linux?

Im afraid im completely new to Linux having been a windows person most of my life and haven't even turned on the machine yet through fear of messing it up.

Linux isn't mentioned in the operating requirements and I don't want to get myself into a 18 month contract if I wont be able to use it.

Can anyone tell me yes or no?

Thanks for your time
    from Jen

Hi Jen and welcome to the forums!

I found this which appears to address your concern with an exact remedy. The good news is, according to the article, this device can be configured to work for you! The problem might be, as someone new to Linux, the method described could prove very challenging. If you are a patient person and are good at following instructions then I'd say go for it! The choice of course will be yours. We'd be glad to assist you if you run into trouble.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Um maybe I should take it back and get a windows version. Linux is probably loads better but not if you are like me and can only just turn the pc on lol.

The wireless utility included works flawlessly anyway. I'd call the makers of the Dongle and ask them why they are ignoring Linux users.

Just Joined!
    The problem is that a lot of places like travelodge for example charge 35 a week for wireless so I may as well just get a mobile contract.

Anyway I have gone ahead and got the 3gb dongle through 3 at 7.50 a month so fingers crossed it works.

If not I guess I will have to do rather a lot of reading up on how to use linux properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightonbean View Post
    If not I guess I will have to do rather a lot of reading up on how to use linux properly.
    One way or the other, you'll have to pay for Internet service if you do it above board. The "How to" to get it working might not be as formidable since someone else has already gone through the process and documented it. At any rate, we're here to assist if you need us.

I believe the Huawei dongles are fully supported in the kernel since 2.6.20. Originally people used wvdial to connect which can be a little too manual for daily use for most people. On the other hand the latest Network Manager supports dialup connections very well and makes it just point and click. I don't know if the EeePC includes this but if it does it would be quite painless.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 06-22-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Wrong kernel version listed

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    How would I find out if its a Huawei ?
    I just bought this one Deal Summary
    which should arrive tuesday but if I got the wrong one then I should be able to swap it for one of the others.

That one should be fine, it's the Huawei E220 and is the most common 3G modem. I don't have first hand experience but I understand a lot of people are using these which is usually a good sign.

Just Joined!
    Just asked 3's live help and its the right one.
    However when I mention linux they nearly had a fit lol.
    I told them I would try it anyway. Fingers crossed it works as a plug and play as I wouldn't know where to start otherwise.

I will be back lol

Thanks for your help guys (or maybe girls)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast