Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there, I just got an Ubuntu CD in the mail and I would like to install it on thie 8-9 year old PC. It's an eMachines PC with 256MB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux and Wireless

Hey there, I just got an Ubuntu CD in the mail and I would like to install it on thie 8-9 year old PC. It's an eMachines PC with 256MB RAM 1.2 GHz Intel processor, Windows XP Home, and a 40GB HDD.

After finally getting a brand new PC (it's amazing with a Quad Core 2.4 GHz, 8800GT Graphics Card, 3GB RAM.. I love it) I ended up getting a router (Linksys) and hooking one end to the new PC, and I bought an adapter for it (Linksys Compact Wireless-G Model# WUSB54GC).

The internet works just fine using this adapter on the current XP Home OS, though I was about to install Ubuntu and heard terrible things about Wireless Networking with it... I mean you guys have a whole section for it.

Should that model work with Ubuntu, if so, how can I make sure that it works? What steps should I take when installing Ubuntu/my adapter onto this PC?

If you need any more info please let me know and I'll try my best to provide.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi Glare!

I found this with Google. It looks pretty straight ahead and easy. Try it. If you get stuck or have any questions, no matter how trivial they may seem, just ask. Someone here will be happy to assist. Oh, and welcome to the forums!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Banned
    Some users claim the Linksys WUSB54GC works out of the box. I would try a liveCD of Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron and have NOTHING ELSE plugged in your usb ports but the wireless usb adapter. Then see if you can scan for wireless connections. You might be able to use the default Network Manager to choose your 'local' wireless access point/connection. You would then only have to enter your info. If you could do all that, it should apply to an actual hard drive install.

Edit: I tried using a Belkin Wireless USB device, F5D7050 version 4000. It works. I'm using a LiveCD of Kubuntu (I prefer KDE) 8.04 Hardy Heron to edit my post. I believe the Linksys device mentioned works as well in this way but with the Ralink drivers (preconfigured/installed in the 2.6.24 kernel). The network manager programs aren't the greatest but you can learn of the 'default settings' via the main network files in case you ever need to do any work on the configuration. But, it does look like there are at least a couple of chipsets that work out of the box in the newer distros. I did make sure that only my wireless adapter was the only usb device plugged in.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Go to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers. It will tell you if you need any proprietary drivers for your system, download them and install them for you. But you will need to connect to internet first with an Ethernet cable.