Find the answer to your Linux question:
I m using FC from long, Recently move to Centos 5.1 Because FC Is not stable and change after 6 months. I used D-link Wireless LAN in FC successfully with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

wireless LAN in Centos installing problem...

I m using FC from long, Recently move to Centos 5.1 Because FC Is not stable and change after 6 months.
    I used D-link Wireless LAN in FC successfully with madwifi installed. But same way tried to installed in Centoc But I can't. madwifi installed sucessfully but the driver is not build. below is my lspci

Quote:
    #lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M800 Host Bridge
    00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M800 Host Bridge
    00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M800 Host Bridge
    00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M800 Host Bridge
    00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M800 Host Bridge
    00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M800 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
    00:06.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)
    00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
    00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
    00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
    00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 7
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro] (rev 15)
    Is there any native driver for this card or any other way to Installed in centos.

I appreciate you opinion.

Linux Guru
    I recently used CentOS 5.1 for a MythTV system. I too wanted the "comfort" of a OS with long term support. Unfortunately, I found that the CentOS kernel is very limited in what is compiled into it. There is a CentOS kernel available that has many more modules available, it is obtained through the CentOSPlus repository.

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalRes...s%2FCentOSPlus

I have been able to install and run MythTV, after activating the ATRPMs repository too. But compiling v4l-dvb drivers failed, as did the remote control program lirc. On the plus side, I was able to install the nVidia driver using the CentOSPlus kernel.

Now, I don't know if you can load the wireless module that you need, with the CentOSPlus kernel. You will have to try it and see. I previously used CentOS 5.0, and I didn't know about the CentOSPlus repository. So I downloaded kernel sources from kernel.org, and compiled my own. This worked great, and I never had any problems!

Unfortunately, compiling your own kernel defeats the whole purpose of using an OS that has long term support.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Thanks for ur response, I am checking?

hey i tried to recompile a new kernel
    but failure error

any more help please..

Linux Guru
    I only suggested compiling your own kernel as a last resort. And since you will no longer be compatible with the CentOS repositories, you will have trouble with some updates. You would then be better off with Fedora, because I think support is 1 1/2 years.

Did you try the CentOSPlus kernel first? That would be the best way, if it works.

If you still want to try to compile your own, I would try and get an older version of the kernel, maybe 2.6.24, or one that you know worked on Fedora. You can even use the Fedora kernel config by going into the source folder and entering make menuconfig. You then select "Save an Alternate Configuration File" at the bottom of the first page. Copy the saved file into your new CentOS kernel source folder, and then select to "Load an Alternate Configuration File" on the same page.

You can check that the wireless module is compiled into the kernel, check the old CentOS kernel too, just to see. Of course, you first need to have the kernel sources install for the active kernels in Fedora and CentOS to do this. These are usually installed from the repository as a kernel-devel-<kernel version> package.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Thanks a lot Paul.
    I am trying again....