Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I can't find any that work (out of the box). I have tried several distros and only Fedora 9 was able to see my device but that was with the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Linux and USB Wireless dongles/adapters

I can't find any that work (out of the box). I have tried several distros and only Fedora 9 was able to see my device but that was with the LiveCD. Who knows what happens if you accidentally hose the software program.

I have used Debian-based distros a little and yes, I'm a newbie but all the wireless programs are horrible. How can developers tolerate having such horrible programs as their only choices?

You need 'non-free' firmware or drivers? I install them and still my adapter doesn't work. I research and research and research for devices that have decent hardware support (zydas/zd1211 or Ralink rt2500, rt73??? 'Haven't tried Ralink yet, though) but still, that doesn't work.

I can only conclude that Linux and wireless is an utter failure. Unless, you are a Unix programmer or you're really lucky, a USB wireless adapter even if it is supposedly supported from the chipset, is not going to help you. The wireless software in Linux is already dreadful and if you don't have the drivers/firmware loading, you are destined to be reading while being simultaneously confused as of what to do.

At least, in Windows, clicking this, downloading that, you will *eventually* get it working even if it isn't the best connection/signal, you will have wireless without hours and hours of tweaking and being super confused.

Just Joined!
    ditto ditto ditto..... i have yet to find anything that helps... also a newcommer and stopped in my tracks.... even newbie pages are totally confusing on the subject....I have AirCruiser G PCI Adapter and have gone on and on for days, or is it weeks....tis beyond me....

I think it's unfair to assume because you had a problem that everyone else might be getting lucky. You must consider that you might be the unlucky one. It's very easy to ask for help here and get it, but if the intention is to come on and complain without trying to resolve the issue you cannot expect a sympathetic ear.

Just Joined!
    No way do i consider others to be lucky, i have the greatest of respect for you guys and consider myself as thick.... ha ha... I am, shall we say an elderly man who is still in awe of the biro.... i thought to get away from windows, have some fun and learn some bits at the same time...was advised ubuntu as a start. I know i shouldn't moan but its frustrating... i have decided to just stay wired for a while until i pick up some skills... but am disappointed with level of difficulty in wireless area, that is all.....

Just Joined!
    Thinking about it, i should apologise, you are right that this should not be a forum for moaning but for learning... when i know enough to ask a sensible question i shall be back.... til then i will shut up and just read.... thanks

Don't worry about it at all rallen32. We'd be glad to help if you let us

By the way welcome to the forums, glad to have you

Just Joined!
    Thanks but like i said.... dont know what to ask and wont understand the answer, yet. but will keep on reading and will take you up on the offer at some stage, no doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by kopete View Post
    I can only conclude that Linux and wireless is an utter failure.
    I would demand my money back.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 07-03-2008 at 05:16 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by rallen32 View Post
    Thinking about it, i should apologise, you are right that this should not be a forum for moaning but for learning... when i know enough to ask a sensible question i shall be back.... til then i will shut up and just read.... thanks
    All you have to do is ask. Most of us are willing to help. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get most wireless devices going under Linux once you've gone through the routine. The old saying still has meaning... "Rome wasn't built in a day."
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I think it's unfair to assume because you had a problem that everyone else might be getting lucky. You must consider that you might be the unlucky one. It's very easy to ask for help here and get it, but if the intention is to come on and complain without trying to resolve the issue you cannot expect a sympathetic ear.
    without trying to resolve the issue?

That is what is unfair. You don't know what I tried or what I have read in an attempt to resolve the issue.

The only one I haven't really tried at all yet is ndiswrapper and I shouldn't have to since native drivers are supposedly included in the kernel for my device/chipset.

I have read via google of people having problems with the same device, same chipset. For every user who says 'mine works' or 'mine works out of the box.', many more users state that they haven't got it to work or are at an unresolved state. I don't think I'm being unfair at all. Perhaps, luck is not involved. Perhaps, all those users are just stupid. Seriously, though, I think it's unfair to assume every 'complainer' hasn't tried to solve the problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast