Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
How do you use Network Manager? I couldn't see it in a menu, so I tried typing sudo NetworkManager into a command line, and it gave me my prompt back... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do you use Network Manager? I couldn't see it in a menu, so I tried typing sudo NetworkManager into a command line, and it gave me my prompt back... I'm not sure what to do with that (I'm relatively new to Linux).

Thanks!

Linux Guru
    If using the Gnome desktop, it would be in the upper right hand corner of the screen. If you have a wired connection, then it is already handling it. There is a small picture of a PC. Click on it (right or left) to change settings.

To start it from a terminal, use this command:
    Code:
    nm-applet
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I see the picture of the PC, and I click on it, and select the name of the network I'm trying to connect to, and the PC changes to a fully coloured in bar chart, and when I hover my mouse over the chart it says "Wireless network connection to "NAME" (94&#37", and when I right-click, the "Enable Wireles" box is ticked, but I still can't load any web pages...

(I don't have a wired connection... I'm writing this from someone else's computer, which is picking up the wireless.)

Thanks for your patience!

Linux Guru
    You may need to install wpa_supplicant. See this from the Ubuntu help pages:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

You also can try something that page says. Instead of clicking on the available network, select "Connect to Other Wireless Network". Now input the needed info to connect to your access point.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Yay, it works!! Thanks so much for your help!

Just Joined!
    Hmm, we're not quite there yet.... it seems that my brother (who is using windows) and I can't both connect to the network at the same time. Not only that, but somehow his attempting to connect to the network made it impossible for me to connect even once he shuts down his computer (even though I'm able to connect to other, weaker networks), and he hasn't been able to connect since I first tried, though he was able to before I got there.

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    Sounds like a problem with the router. Try turning the router off and on again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2