Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
It seems that I have created a root account on my Mythbuntu installation, so you may get something else when you boot into single user mode....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

It seems that I have created a root account on my Mythbuntu installation, so you may get something else when you boot into single user mode.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Well, I think this information was SUPER useful. I was able to go in, I wasn't sure if it copied the xserver b/c I got no indication that it did, but I was able to go in and edit the xserver the way you described. When I first tried to hit shift+ZZ it just started inputing letters into where I had typed vesa b/c I was still there I guess. So I arrowed down out of that area and hit it and it sent me back to the command prompt so I guess it worked.

However, when I rebooted the resolution looked exactly the same and it did the same thing when I tried to login. I'm going back into the xserver now to see if it shows the same previous driver (which was something like "kfd") or "vesa." If it doesn't say vesa I would assume the change didn't take place?

A few questions, should I have gotten some sort of acknowledgment that I backed up the xserver successfully? It just gave me a new command prompt.

Second, should it have given some indication that a change had taken place after I altered the driver? It just sent me to command prompt again after I hit shift+ZZ.

Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    I just had a bit of a breakthrough, I don't know if it was changing the driver to vesa, b/c it didn't seem to change anything when I tried to login after that, or when I went back and tried to change the driver to fglrx, but after I tried to change it to fglrx (an ATI driver I found out about doing some research) when I went to load ubuntu it started in safe graphics mode using vesa, a big move in the right direction. It actually brought up the video configuration screen and I went about selecting the ATI fglrx driver, but when I went to test it I wasn't sure if the test was good or not. I'm guessing not b/c it was just a bunch of white and black junk on the screen (although the config box was plainly visible/fine/etc).

So I went to cancel that configuration and got booted back to a command prompt. I typed my login info again. The first time this is when it loaded and brought me to the config screen. This time it sat idle and did nothing.

??? Not sure what's up. Going to reboot I suppose.

Linux Guru
    OOPS! I forgot one little command.

After you edit a file with vi, you need to hit the Esc key to exit edit mode. Then you can save the file and exit with the Shift+ZZ command. Now you know why I had you make a copy of the file. And no, it won't give you a message saying "file copied successfully" or anything like that. You can have it do that with the -i option.

To restore the original and be prompted, use this:
    Code:
    cp -i /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    I wouldn't rush into using an ATI driver until you know for sure that the vesa driver works all the time. If you have a newer ATI card, you may need to use the Linux driver from the ATI web site. Or, it may not be supported at all.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I wouldn't rush into using an ATI driver until you know for sure that the vesa driver works all the time. If you have a newer ATI card, you may need to use the Linux driver from the ATI web site. Or, it may not be supported at all.
    Paul, you are my hero. I didn't even have to use the last command line prompt you mentioned. After some fidgeting I was able to change the driver to vesa and I am now looking at a running version of Ubuntu in low graphics mode. Right now I want to see if I can get on the internet and check to see if I can get access to some saved work on an existing Windows partition, but after that I do want to get the video card working properly.

The ATI card isn't newer. It's on board this motherboard I bought used, that dates back to maybe '04 or '05. 256 mb integrated ATI Radeon 2 or 300.

What would you consider working "all the time" for this vesa driver? How do I go about updating to the proper ATI driver when I am ready to do that? What I've read has all this talk about "building" the driver. That sounds complicated.

Just Joined!
    can't get the internet to work. initially, at least, it appears to be the same issue i was having with mepis. I'm going to go back and read about those commands to see if the driver is even there or the card recognized.

Just Joined!
    driver shows in the lspci command just as with mepis.

modprobe rtl8185 and modprobe rtl8180 commands both give "module blah not found"

do i need to install the driver i have like we were originally going to try with mepis?

it's probably worth noting that this install does not have ndiswrapper on it.

Linux Guru
    If you booted several times, and every time it works, then that would be "all the time". I would consider that problem fixed. Now, installing an ATI driver is a new problem.

As for the wireless driver, I'm thinking that if it is not in the kernel (rtl8180/rtl8185), then go with NDISwrapper. You can try installing it with the Synaptic Package Manager, or with apt:
    Code:
    sudo apt get install ndiswrapper*
    I know you don't an internet connection, so you will have to see if it is on the installation CD. Otherwise you need to get the needed files from an Ubuntu repository.

Linux Guru
    In Synaptic click on Setting --> Repositories. On the first tab, click on Installable from CD-ROM at the bottom. On the Third Party tab, unselect everything, and maybe click Add CD-ROM. You will need to insert the installation CD for this.

Then click reload in the menu, and see if ndiswrapper is there.

Just Joined!
    I followed the steps to get ndiswrapper off the cd-rom, but when i hit reload it still tried to go to the web for something or other and failed. even if i get ndiswrapper, doesn't this assume i have the windows drivers or something? because i don't...i only have the linux driver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast