Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted by waterhead You guys need to slow down and stop and take a breather! Your wireless won't completely work until you install the needed firmware for it. It ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    You guys need to slow down and stop and take a breather!

Your wireless won't completely work until you install the needed firmware for it. It uses the ipw2200 kernel driver, and firmware can be downloaded from here:
    Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Driver Firmware
    I'm not sure which version you need, but I'd start with the newest. After unpackng it, copy the contents to the /lib/firmware folder, as root or use sudo.
    I agree, and took that into consideration, but Ubuntu should include that firmware in the distribution as they include 99% of the firmware that I have encountered. So far, all of my intel, ralink, and madwifi firmware has been included. There is a bug with NetworkManager and the intel 2200 chipset as has already been posted, so I recommended using /etc/network/interfaces because 1.) there is a bug and 2.) I hate NetworkMananger because it doesn't work for me about half the time.

I do think he needs the firmware, but really, if the driver is in the kernel, chances are that Ubuntu has already installed the firmware in /lib/firmware.

Code:
    don@garage:~$ ls /lib/firmware/2.6.24-19-generic | grep 2200
    ipw2200-bss.fw
    ipw2200-ibss.fw
    ipw2200-sniffer.fw
    ql2200_fw.bin
    don@garage:~$
    That is my ubuntu box, and it is a default install. Since he is using ubuntu, I can safely assume his is the same unless he manually removed it, which he never said anything about it.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Guru
    Hey guys whats up. Gruven I don't uninstall nothing and every time ubuntu wants me to update I download everything. Got my butt on the couch now with busted foot in the air so everything is peachy keen. No need to get anybodies panties in a wad. Luv ya bros.

Linux Guru
    Hmmm...

I hate Ubuntu, and always use KDE with KNetworkManager. I have few troubles with my wireless in SuSE and Fedora using KNetworkManager .

Maybe a change of distros is what is needed?
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I aint afeared but my Panasonic Cf-48 lacks some huevos for some of the high powered distros. Right now cuz I dual boot(OMG) I'm posting rgis in Windows cuz I]m wireless on the couch rught now. So don't shoot me/ Panasonic cf-48,1.6ghz.512MB SDRAM,100 gig hardrive. 50ubuntu/50windows.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Hmmm...

I hate Ubuntu, and always use KDE with KNetworkManager. I have few troubles with my wireless in SuSE and Fedora using KNetworkManager .

Maybe a change of distros is what is needed?
    I usually just manually configure the wireless using wpa_supplicant, but then again I use Gentoo, and I am a glutton for punishment. I hate network-manager because it is so finicky. For example, I usually have to login on my garage box to get network-manager to work. I hate that. I ssh in all the time, and I don't really want to have someone logged in all the time. Another thing, is that I like to do a lot of my work without a gui, so therefor it is a lot easier for me to manually configure it, and just use the distro networking scripts for the settings because there is not always a gui.

I am not upset, just frustrated with your wireless in Ubuntu, lol. I don't think a distro change is needed, only some changes in settings.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Linux Guru
    I don't think a distro change is needed, only some changes in settings.
    __________________HEEEHAAW AND COWWPATTY

Linux Guru
    Tried your new command line gruven in essid and still no joy for connection. Here is my terminal report.

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:15:00:10:0a:ce
    Sending on LPF/eth1/00:15:00:10:0a:ce
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    harry@harry-laptop:~$ sudo ifconfig eth1 up
    harry@harry-laptop:~$ sudo iwconfig eth1 essid harrybelkin
    harry@harry-laptop:~$ sudo iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
    harry@harry-laptop:~$ sudo dhclient eth1
    There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 134519072
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.6
    Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit ISC DHCP

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:15:00:10:0a:ce
    Sending on LPF/eth1/00:15:00:10:0a:ce
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
    DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
    No DHCPOFFERS received.
    No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
    harry@harry-laptop:~$

Linux Guru
    Ok. I have verified I am running 2.6 kernel
    02:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection (rev 05)
    harry@harry-laptop:~$ ls /boot
    abi-2.6.24-16-generic initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
    abi-2.6.24-19-generic initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic.bak
    config-2.6.24-16-generic memtest86+.bin
    config-2.6.24-19-generic System.map-2.6.24-16-generic
    grub System.map-2.6.24-19-generic
    initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
    initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic.bak vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic

Ibm site says

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG/2915ABG Driver for Linux* 1.2.0
    Is compatible with linux kernel 2.6.8 and above.
    I have downloaded linux compatible intel driver /home/harry/Desktop/ipw2200_linux_1_2_0.tgz

It would be a great help to give me a command to install driver from file on desktop. Being not real computer savvy I know this install seems obvious to most of you but I don't have a clue and I've gotten this far on my own efforts.

Linux Guru
    OK I am now posting wirelessly on battery power. Have rebooted computer to check and see if it remembered connection with A/C power disconnected and this last post is the net result. I wish I could post how the heck I got this working and the best I can come up with is using Neywork Manager I established a new Wireless network and asked it to connect to my router called harrybelkin and it connected and Signal strength is 100%. I am considering this matter and thread as now RESOLVED.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5