Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i have just got ubuntu up and running and now need to get my laptop connected to my wireless network, i was redirected here so any help would be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

n00b wireless help, please

hi

i have just got ubuntu up and running and now need to get my laptop connected to my wireless network, i was redirected here so any help would be very appreciated.

i have an intel wireless wifi link 4965agn setup on my laptop if that helps

I don't deal with wifi to much but..

At the top left near the time do you have a picture that looks like 2 monitors?
    If you click on it, hopefully it will show you netgear, click on that and enter the info.

Failing that

Post the output of

Code:
    iwconfig
    Code:
    lspci
    May need to sudo lspci

Post the output that relates to your wireless card (hopefully there is something there)
    00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 100Base-T (rev 01) is similar to what you are looking for, of course something to do with you brand of card.

and the output of

Code:
    lsmod
    may be useful

thats about the extend of my linux wifi knowledge there. So you may need to wait for another to have a look at the output of those for you.

Just Joined!
    thanks mate

just one thing as i am so new to linux (about 4 hours now) i don't know where or how to input that code you speak of?

any tips would be great

thanks

Go to Applications > accessories > terminal

Linux Guru
    You may need to install firmware first, for it to work properly. You can download it from this site, you want the microcode image at the top of the page. Get the latest one for your wireless:
    Intel® Wireless WiFi Link drivers for Linux*

You need to unpack the compressed file before you can use it.

It is possible that Ubuntu already has the firmware. It would be in the folder /lib/firmware/<kernel version>. This is where you would need to put the firmware. If you want to try the latest firmware, save the older to another folder first (in case you want to restore it).
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.