Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just wondering if there is a way to connect to a wireless network (in this case on wlan0) where I know the MAC address and I wish to use a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to connect wlanX to Mac address with static IP

Just wondering if there is a way to connect to a wireless network (in this case on wlan0) where I know the MAC address and I wish to use a static IP (e.g., 192.168.1.55) ?

Any help much appreciated! Cheers!

Linux Guru
    You would normally have the router perform this function. You set the computer to receive the IP address using DHCP. You then set the router up to assign a static IP address. It is usually binded to the MAC address.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Yes, but I would like to set this myself in the case that DHCP does not offer an IP address and lease.

Linux Guru
    Open YaST and change the settings of the wireless in the network card settings.

Again, this is not the best way to do this. If this is a laptop, you may have a hard time connecting to any other networks. You can change the settings of the wireless router too, so that still is the preferred method.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.