Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Ah, I forgot that you are using the KDE desktop. So KNetworkManager it is. Open KNetworkManager and select "Connect to Other Wireless Network...". Input the info for your wireless, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Ah, I forgot that you are using the KDE desktop. So KNetworkManager it is.

Open KNetworkManager and select "Connect to Other Wireless Network...". Input the info for your wireless, and see if that makes a difference.

For security reasons, you should be using WPA. WEP is easy to crack, and not considered secure. But for testing, no security OK, as it removes a potential problem.

Your wireless card should be configured to use DHCP, as it is not a static card and will possibly connect to many different access points.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Well my router and modem are on top my desktop cpu and I never really bothered to worry about putting in a WPA or WEP I kinda know how to setup one up yet not. I live in a very small town so I think that might make a difference. I just tried connec to other network and said connection failure. I dual boot xp and kubuntu and normally the one I click on xp for connecting to wireless is linksys. Sorry for being a bit stupid.

Linux Guru
    Sometime KNetworkManager is a pain in the ass to connect with. I have a PC in my garage, and connecting the wireless with it was always hit or miss. Then I followed someone else's suggestion about configuring the card in the network card configuration section of my distro (Fedora). Now it connects almost every time! Automatically!

Now this is a different wireless card and a different distro/kernel version. It also uses KWallet instead of the Keyring Manager. But you see why I am persistent about the card set up. It is difficult to tell you exactly what to do, since not only do I not have your wireless or distro installed, but your network setup could be different too.

You could also try terminal commands for the wireless. Here are some:

ifdown wlan0 (shuts down the wireless card)

ifup wlan0 (initializes the card)

iwconfig wlan0 essid <network name> (changes the network to connect with)

iwconfig wlan0 mode <mode> (changes the mode of the card. Choices are: Managed, Ad-Hoc, Master, Repeater, Auto etc)

iwconfig wlan0 key <your wireless password>

To see a list of all choices, use this:
    Code:
    iwconfig --help
    For even more info, use this command:
    Code:
    man iwconfig
    When you change any of the settings, check to see if the changes worked with the iwconfig command alone, without any parameters. You also may need to stop/start the card with the ifdown/ifup commands before changes take effect.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Is there any type of program that I can get with Adept that would just show me the available networks in my radius of my house , so I can get my network and not the neighbours?

Linux Guru
    Sorry, I don't even know what Adept is. Is it some kind of package manager? For all of the Ubuntu type distros, The Synaptic Package Manager is usually the way to go.

There is a terminal command that will scan for available networks. In Fedora I needed to have root privileges using the su command, so in Kubuntu enter this.
    Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
    If your wireless had a different name other than wlan0, then you would use that name.

Just Joined!
    Yea Adept Manager is what it is for downloads and such I did "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan"
    command and all I got was "wlan0 No scan results".

Linux Guru
    That is the response it gives if the command is not correctly inputted. I just tried it again without root privileges, and it worked. So try it again without sudo:
    Code:
    iwlist wlan0 scan

Just Joined!
    Ok I seem to have gotten the same thing which is odd "No scan results"when I put that in command.

Linux Guru
    That command seems to be finicky, at least on my laptop. it seems to work for me when I use the sudo prefix. But this is Fedora I'm running, not Ubuntu! Then it will sometimes work without sudo. Try doing it back and forth with/without the sudo prefix. If there are available networks around you, it should show them eventually.

Linux Guru
    OK, you need to be root (sudo?) to scan with iwlist. Running the man iwlist command, I found this:
    PARAMETERS
    scan[ning]
    Give the list of Access Points and Ad-Hoc cells in range, and optionally a whole bunch of infor-
    mation about them (ESSID, Quality, Frequency, Mode...). The type of information returned depends
    on what the card supports.
    Triggering scanning is a privileged operation (root only) and normal users can only read left-
    over scan results. By default, the way scanning is done (the scope of the scan) is dependant on
    the card and card settings.
    This command take optional arguments, however most drivers will ignore those. The option essid is
    used to specify a scan on a specific ESSID. The option last do not trigger a scan and read left-
    over scan results.
    So you need root privileges. If sudo is not giving you root privileges, then is there another user account on this PC? The first one created has root privileges using sudo and the user's password.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast