Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying for days to configure the wireless adapter on my ACER laptop. This is something that I expected to almost manage itself. I amamazed at the confusing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down What is "Set Mode (8B06)" error

I have been trying for days to configure the wireless adapter on my ACER laptop. This is something that I expected to almost manage itself. I amamazed at the confusing things I have found. I am not getting the warm fuzzy feeling I hoped for with LINUX. I think Windows did too much for me.
    I havea wireless network running in my house, everything is soooo easy.
    But Fedora9 will only connect via ethernet, which keeps me tethered to my router.....

Quote Originally Posted by jdossey
    This is something that I expected to almost manage itself. I amamazed at the confusing things I have found. I am not getting the warm fuzzy feeling I hoped for with LINUX. I think Windows did too much for me.
    That's the thing about drivers in Linux. It has to do with sources. And that's what open source means. If the source for your device is open, than you have out of the box functionality, if not, then you run into problems.

That's not saying there ain't a solution.
    Can you give the output of these commands?
    Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig
    /sbin/ifconfig -a
    /sbin/lspci
    ---

On a related note. I don't have a webcam, so my dad gave his one to me. I plug it in and nothing happens. I open up a mediaplayer and see 'webcam feed' listed. I click it and have life feed from the webcam. I did not click anything, didn't install drivers. Linux just recognizes the device and waits for the user to tell it what to do with it. I can now chat with life audio and video, which I wont... (cuz I hate it)
    That's just saying, all I needed to do to install a new webcam was to raise the microphone-in in my mixer because the audio level was to low. You have a little more trouble as it seems, but that's not Linux's (de)fault.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Guru
    To determine the driver to use, more specific information is needed. Read through the post linked to below, and post the output of the commands here in this post.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tml#post589924
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close