Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I have just dual booted Vista with Ubuntu (Vista installed first) and the wireless works fine on Vista but on Ubuntu my wireless won't come on no matter how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless setup help needed please

Hi I have just dual booted Vista with Ubuntu (Vista installed first) and the wireless works fine on Vista but on Ubuntu my wireless won't come on no matter how much I press the button and no matter how long I hold it down for. I have a Compaq C765EM Notebook and I've never had any problem wih the wireles before. Can anyone help please I really want to be able to get more applications for Ubuntu.

you need to install the driver for it
    we need to know what kind of wireless card you have in order to help you
    open terminal and post output of
    Code:
    lspci

Just Joined!
    Sorry where do I type that code into?

Just Joined!
    Oh wait in device manager says in network adapters "Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Wifi Adapter" and "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NCI" do you think you could tell me the drives I need or do you need more information?

Ubuntu 8.04: Enabling Atheros AR5007 Based Wireless | Linux and Open Source Blog

follow the instructions for 32 bit users if you are using 32 bit or for 64 bit users if you are using 64 bit, you need to plug your laptop into the router directly with ethernet cable for this to work

Just Joined!
    I did everything you and the website said but it still doesn't work it says something like cannot write as there is no make file selected and it asks for a sudo password iy doesn't let me type anything. Any other ideas?

when typing in your sudo password nothing is echo'd, as in, you won't see something like *** as you type, you have to just type the password and hit enter

Just Joined!
    It all works fine until I get to the part where I have to type "make" (I'm 32bit) and then it says "make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop." But if I do the next bit anyway where I type "Sudo make install" then it comes "Make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop." I have got the ethannet cable plugged in so I dont know whats wrong.

use this tarball instead
    http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi...0080801.tar.gz

when i downloaded the tarball in the guide, it was empty, and after following some stuff I got to this tarball, i just compiled it on my machine, and it compiled, so hopefully you'll be set with this

Just Joined!
    I've downloaded and extracted it to my Ubuntu desktop but I don't know how to compile it. Do I have to place it somewhere or install it somehow?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast