Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I see the wireless connection I want and click on it. It sends me to a page and requests a pass phrase. I enter it, and it returns me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy My ISP shows an active wireless connection, but it doesn't work on my HP laptop

Hi. I see the wireless connection I want and click on it. It sends me to a page and requests a pass phrase. I enter it, and it returns me to the same page, asking the same question. I re-enter it and it runs in circles. My ISP sees my computer, and sees the key I am entering, and shows an active link! But, I can only access by hard-line.

My built in wifi card is on.

I tried as many suggestions as I could find. Under Terminal, using the subu the screen pops up and prompts for my password, I understand why the pw is not visible as I type it.

I hit enter and it comes back "bash" invalid. I've run it so many times, my pw actually shows up now!

Can I give you anymore information to help me solve this problem?

Sorry, I think I forgot to tell you I'm running on Hardy Heron
    Last edited by anawar; 08-04-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: left out information

Linux Guru
    Post the output of these commands:
    Code:
    sudo lspci -nn
    sudo lsusb
    lsmod
    dmesg | grep wlan
    dmesg | grep firmware
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

Need more help

Should I hit enter after each command? All I get is invalid password. I saw notification that three attempts to login failed so I closed terminal, wondering if I might lock myself out of my own computer!

Making matters worse, If I ever get in this way, I forgot what comes next!

I'm so confused, I wonder if I will ever understand how to get wireless for this laptop. Why won't the laptop run on the available signal?

Thank you so much for helping me.

Linux Guru
    Each command is separate and requires you to hit enter.

You seem to have a problem with your root password. Can you login as root? If you can't, you can replace the password with a new one, but you need to boot with the installation CD/DVD to do it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

root

Are you typing sudo su - when in a terminal?
    you need to type sudo su - then hit the return or enter key
    you will then be asked for your password which should be the same as the one you enter when you boot up your computer
    type in your password and press enter or return key, the screen will say root@yourname:~#
    you then type in any of the code people who are helping you have asked you to.
    It took me an age to find out how to get to the root as no one on any of the forums tell you what to type in to get to the root.
    Sorry I can't help with the wifi, I am also having problems.

Did you reset the wireless router?
    If not try resetting it and retry the connection again!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by solipsist View Post
    Did you reset the wireless router?
    If not try resetting it and retry the connection again!
    I have reset my router many times.
    I get no DHCOFFERS recieved
    The A/P is enabled, the router is broadcasting its name and the DHCP server is on. I have installed nsidwrapper 1.53
    The wireless connection works with our two Eee's and a Sony with XP. The problem laptop is a Sony now installed with ubuntu. I can ping all the other laptops and the wireless HP printer from it.
    I ran dmesg - it tells me nsidwrapper 1.53 is loaded and that eth1 link is not ready.
    I am new to Linux
    Thank you

Linux Guru
    You never provided the info needed to help you:
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    Post the output of these commands:
    Code:
    sudo lspci -nn
    sudo lsusb
    lsmod
    dmesg | grep wlan
    dmesg | grep firmware

Just Joined!
    Is this issue about a dial-up set-up, or a wireless interface setup?

It might be good to see a few screen shots, of what you are trying to achieve.

It would be good, if you could sort a few things out with your ISP, first.

And then we could go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by dandi View Post
    I have reset my router many times.
    I get no DHCOFFERS recieved
    The A/P is enabled, the router is broadcasting its name and the DHCP server is on. I have installed nsidwrapper 1.53
    The wireless connection works with our two Eee's and a Sony with XP. The problem laptop is a Sony now installed with ubuntu. I can ping all the other laptops and the wireless HP printer from it.
    I ran dmesg - it tells me nsidwrapper 1.53 is loaded and that eth1 link is not ready.
    I am new to Linux
    Thank you
    If you are able to ping all the other devices of your network that means that there could be some problem with the DNS setting on your system.
    Why cant you call the ISP guy and have the entire network double-checked or set-up again?