Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been playing around with the Xubuntu live CD on my laptop. It recognised my PCMCIA wifi card and found the appropriate driver for it. However the signal strength isn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Signal Strength

I've been playing around with the Xubuntu live CD on my laptop. It recognised my PCMCIA wifi card and found the appropriate driver for it.

However the signal strength isn't as high as under Win 2000.

My favourite chair is around 4m from the router, in win 2000 I get 5/5 bars signal strength, so around 80-100%. However in Xubuntu it was between 3-4 bars with the reading being slightly over 50%.

When I'm at my room the signal with win 2000 is normally around 30%, but in xubuntu it's disconnected/ out of range.

Is this just a driver problem? and when I have xubuntu installed will I beable to select a better driver?

[EDIT]
    Xubuntu 8.04
    Compaq Evo N600c, PIII-1ghz, 256mb ram, 20gb HDD
    Card: TP-Link TL-WN510G
    Drivers: Atheros hardware access layer (HAL)
    Support for atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards

Linux Guru
    I can't help with the signal strength problem. But there is a Linux application that uses the WindowsXP wireless drivers to connect. The name of it is NDISwrapper, and it should be available from your distro's repositories.

You will need to remove the current wireless driver modules before NDISwrapper will work. If interested, I'll help further.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    There is one other thing that you could try. There are different channels or frequencies used for wireless. Some are better than others, depending on the circumstances. I change channels in the router, not the wireless card. My wireless-g router has 11 channels. I was having trouble connecting to a remote PC, and heard that channel 11 is best for problem connections.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close