Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm trying to enable packet injection with my broadcom card, and I have some confusion that you may be able to clear up. It says here that packet injection ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Packet injection with b43 driver

Hi, I'm trying to enable packet injection with my broadcom card, and I have some confusion that you may be able to clear up.

It says here that packet injection should work with the standard b43 driver.

However, when I run the packet injection test with aircrack-ng, as found in the guide here, I do not get the message saying packet injection is working.

I know that there have been patches made for b43 and bcm43xx, but my understanding was that they made packet injection faster, not enabled packet injection.

So is something wrong with my driver? I would try applying the patch, but I do not have the sources for the b43 module and I'm not sure where to get them. The directory /usr/src/kernels/2.6.24.5-85.fc8-x86_64/drivers/net/wireless/b43 lists only Kconfig and Makefile, there is no main.c or anything else.

So my questions:
    -What is going on with my driver?
    -How can I get the sources for my driver?

Just Joined!

Thumbs up related situation

I'm also trying to use packet injection.
    linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-bcm43xx

Use the B43 driver.
    Then disable the wireless card if you are using it for internet, keep this page up to read then disable it. Then in command, change to monitor mode:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    Then test for packet injection if using B43 driver:

aireplay-ng -9 wlan0
    It should work, but I can't get mine either.
    My terminal window returns to me:

aireplay-ng -9 wlan0
    16:07:00 Trying broadcast probe requests...
    16:07:01 No Answer...
    16:07:01 Found 1 AP

16:07:01 Trying directed probe requests...
    16:07:01 00:1CF:16:90:56 - channel: 1 - 'Office54g'
    16:07:07 0/30: 0%
    :sly:

Just Joined!
    I just noticed this post was created a year before my reply. I can't believe nobody has responded to this, especially on this outspoken forum!

Linux Guru
    I guess that I don't understand what packet injection is used for. Could you enlighten me?
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

Red face packet injection

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I guess that I don't understand what packet injection is used for. Could you enlighten me?
    well data is sent via in packets, groups of bytes. injection - well basically forcing packets until you can crack a wireless key to join a network / free wifi. not necessary if neighbors don't use keys on their routers, lol.
    Always check out the wiki for more info:
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_injection

Just Joined!
    01:37:30 Trying broadcast probe requests...
    01:37:30 Injection is working!
    01:37:31 Found 1 AP

01:37:31 Trying directed probe requests...
    01:37:31 00:2B:EF:12:34:56 - channel: 1 - 'linksys'
    01:37:36 Ping (min/avg/max): 2.536ms/147.304ms/188.222ms Power: -75.87
    01:37:36 30/30: 100%
    Last edited by waterhead; 10-06-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: removed command

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFox View Post
    well data is sent via in packets, groups of bytes. injection - well basically forcing packets until you can crack a wireless key to join a network / free wifi. not necessary if neighbors don't use keys on their routers, lol.
    It is illegal to access a computer network without first getting permission to do so. This is true whether it is password protected or not. We will not promote illegal activities at Linux Forums.

It is also against the forum rules to post spam posts. That is what you did to get around the rule preventing new members from posting links.
    Last edited by waterhead; 10-06-2009 at 09:56 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.