Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
using wpa-supplicant I got "Unsupported driver 'ndiswrapper' "... Also, typing in man didn't do anything either. Looks like the man pages for wpa-supplicant aren't there... As for the rt2500, I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

using wpa-supplicant I got "Unsupported driver 'ndiswrapper' "...
    Also, typing in man didn't do anything either. Looks like the man pages for wpa-supplicant aren't there...

As for the rt2500, I'm a bit confused...I've read a lot of things on the internet that states the rt2500 driver can be used for connecting the Belkin f5d7050 adapter. However, on my Vector linux machine, it's using ieee80211 and zd1211 (it wasn't until I added zd1211 that Zenwalk even found a wireless device). I think, perhaps, I was only reading fairly old websites...But, anyway, I removed them and put ndiswrapper back on, so now the internet works again...

Thanks...

Keep in mind also, that just because you have a Belkin f5d7050 doesn't mean that it has a particular chip in it. I have seen various chips in the same model numbers. Some Belkins use MAdwifi and others use NDISWrapper.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    If you really want to know what chips your wireless is using, and hence the Linux driver for it, post the output of this command:
    Code:
    lsusb
    This is for a USB device, as I think that is what you have.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    lsusb:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 050d:705c Belkin Components F5D7050 v4000 Wireless Adapter

I looked at the services and didn't see anything that had any of these names...

Linux Guru
    I Googled the Device ID (050d:705c), and it looks like you are correct. It uses the zd1211 driver. Here is more info on it.
    zd1211rw - Linux Wireless

You can always download the latest wireless drivers from the LinuxWireless site, if you need them.

Edit: I just read through the link I posted above. It looks like you need to install firmware to get the card to work.
    Last edited by waterhead; 09-28-2008 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Added Edit
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Very cool Link waterhead, thanks for that!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    <Complete Edit>

I found everything I needed. It wasn't just called firmware...I need to stop thinking so litteral at times, ha ha...Anyway, it is connected using zd1211rw...And I think it is even faster...Yet, when I ran wpa-supplicant, it still shows that the device is unsupported...So back to the drawing board...But first I'll try the wpa, etc and see if it works any better now with a more appropriate driver...

Thanks...It was a great help...I'm sorry if I seemed a bit off in the head. I've had some extreme difficulties thinking and concentrating on things lately which has made it almost impossible to read through things as well as doing the appropriate searches. No matter what, I kept finding information on this from 2002 to 2007, very little in 2008. That's probably been the most problematic...

Again, thanks...

Before I go ahead and make some modifications to my router, I just wanted to ask a few questions about the changes I'm going to make...

Ok, I read through a few things, and so far it seems that ndiswrapper is the best choice, or easiest...So I guess I'll stick with that until I can either get a faster computer or figure out how to speed up Vector Linux to run on this machine.

Anyway I was looking over my wireless network and so I just wanted to make 100&#37; sure before I started changing anything...

IP address, this is where I could rename the IP address, correct?
    Subnet Mask, the first 255 is blacked out and uneditable, but could I change the rest of it?

When I make these changes, will it affect the computer that's directly connected to the router, and will I have to change the IP address on it or will DHCP automatically find it, too?

And last, under System Settings there is this "Only this IP address can remotely manage the router" does this mean then that if I add this computers IP address, it would mean that only and only this computer would be able to make changes to the router as well as the computer that is directly connected to the router?

Thanks...

Just Joined!
    Solved...

Here is a wiki that helped...Wpa supplicant - Zenwalk Wiki...

Linux Guru
    That's good news!

The info in that wiki is similar to what you would get if you could have brought up the man pages that I mentioned earlier.

Have fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2