Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi , i have a problem with wirelles atheros ar5007eg .I need to install drivers in opensuse 11. Can you help me somebody?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wifi in open suse 11

Hi , i have a problem with wirelles atheros ar5007eg .I need to install drivers in opensuse 11. Can you help me somebody?

Linux Guru
    This should work with the MadWifi driver. You will need to download and install it, you can get it here.
    madwifi.org - Trac

Here is a page with some info concerning your card and MadWifi. keep in mind that it may not be the most recent info.

Compatibility/Atheros - madwifi.org - Trac

MadWifi is not completely open source, so there is a new driver for your generation of chips, called ath5k. I'm not sure if your chip is actually covered by this driver, but you can check to see if it is already loaded in your system. Use this command to see all of the driver module that your system has loaded, and look for ath5k.
    Code:
    lsmod
    Actually to see only that module, use this command.
    Code:
    lsmod | grep ath5k
    If nothing comes up, it's not loaded.
    Last edited by waterhead; 09-28-2008 at 02:12 PM. Reason: added grep comment
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    THX But i have linux 1st time i dont know how to intall madwifi

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    It looks like you can install MadWifi from the SUSE repositories. In the main menu, select this:

Computer --> Install Software

In the search area enter madwifi. Check the box next to the madwifi package, and let it install it. For something like this, it may be best for you then to reboot.

Then see if you can configure the card in YaST.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Yes i found in Yast my card atheros ar5k7eg...... but next in wroted unconfigured .And i cant confugire it. It wrote something like : or you card is not in pc and cant configure it ...

Linux Guru
    You need to configure the card in YaST.

What is the status of this, as I gave you a lot of options. Did you install MadWifi? What was the output of the lsmod command? Is the ath5k module loaded?

Just Joined!
    yes is loaded but i cant configure it in yast , it wrote : not found hardware , but i know that i have it .

Linux Guru
    What type of wireless is this? USB, PCI or PCMCIA?

If it is an external device (USB or PCMCIA), make sure that it is plugged in before you boot the computer.

Just Joined!
    is PCMCIA , But it is pluged in all time .

Linux Guru
    Please enter this command into a terninal, and post the output here.
    Code:
    lspci
    Also enter this command, and post the output.
    Code:
    lsmod