Find the answer to your Linux question:
how can i get the ubuntu to see my wireless dish? i dont know much - in fact anything about setting it up on pc, instead on windows rubbish.. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy argghh catastrophe!! no wifi/ubuntu!!

how can i get the ubuntu to see my wireless dish? i dont know much - in fact anything about setting it up on pc, instead on windows rubbish..
    i tried the live cd, and it just wont see any of my wifi modems(hawking parabole, toshibea laptop inbuilt jobby).. so whats the crack??
    how do you get it to work???
    please can somebody email me or post asnwer..
    jonnymsimmo at msn dot com
    cheers

Linux Guru
    This can take a bit of investigating, so we will start with the built-in wireless. Please disconnect the others. Now run these commands, and post the output here.
    Code:
    lspci
    Code:
    lsusb
    Code:
    lsmod
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

Unhappy sorry absolute beginner here.. how do you do it?

[

and aswell my ubuntu in windows wont even fire up... i cant get anything out of it.. it says some problem about root directory- cannot access... there is a workaround option, if you press esc, but that just throws back lots of nasty command line stuff...

"one day i will have a decent o.s. on my system" linux...

QUOTE=waterhead;630747]This can take a bit of investigating, so we will start with the built-in wireless. Please disconnect the others. Now run these commands, and post the output here.
    Code:
    lspci
    Code:
    lsusb
    Code:
    lsmod
    [/QUOTE]

Linux Guru
    I'm not clear on the problem that you are now having. Ubuntu on Windows? What does that mean? Are you running it with wubi, or in a virtual environment? Sometimes hardware (like wireless cards) won't work in a virtual environment because it doesn't have the drivers to use.

I don't know if there is a solution to this problem. I can only recommend to first run Ubuntu as a Live CD. Configure the wireless to see if you can get it to work. If successful, I would install Ubuntu onto the hard drive.

You do need a wired LAN connection in order to get the wireless to work. There are usually files that need to be downloaded and installed first. It can be done without an internet connection, but it is very difficult.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

Question ok, back to basics...

my pc(toshiba laptop) wont take the setup stuff, i get some bullsh*t about "not being able to find?install root directory"...
    i tried the option" install in windows" no luck there , it doesnt see the wifi adaptors...
    i cannot get landline(remote area).
    i have a 3telecom usb dongle for web, a hawking parabole for the "eventuel" mobile" excursions...
    do i have to ensure all the hardware is compatible linux???
    how?? do i get in touch with the manufacturers?

what software can i download (free) so it set it up automatically??
    its a pain in the nuts to have to trawl thru all the command line stuff to get it to work(i have better things to do, i dont know any nerds either..)
    i just wanna put the cd in, minimum aggro, minimum setup , and get out of the microsoft "jail"
    for years (about 15) i've hoped someone would come up with something better than microsoft rip off /swindle, unsecured cr@p..
    i need the web(work) i'm miles away in the middle of no where for months(no landline)
    there is a install ubuntu in windows function(doesnt work though) as soon as i get ubuntu working, i will junk windows!!!

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I'm not clear on the problem that you are now having. Ubuntu on Windows? What does that mean? Are you running it with wubi, or in a virtual environment? Sometimes hardware (like wireless cards) won't work in a virtual environment because it doesn't have the drivers to use.

I don't know if there is a solution to this problem. I can only recommend to first run Ubuntu as a Live CD. Configure the wireless to see if you can get it to work. If successful, I would install Ubuntu onto the hard drive.

You do need a wired LAN connection in order to get the wireless to work. There are usually files that need to be downloaded and installed first. It can be done without an internet connection, but it is very difficult.

Linux Guru
    I sounds as if you don't have what is usually considered wireless, but a cell phone type internet connection aka: wireless broadband.

It would take more investigating to determine how and if you can use this in Linux. But I can assure you that it is not going to automatically work with any Linux distribution. What I mean is that you will not be able to just plug it in and have an internet connection. It will take at least some configuring, how much is unknown.

From what I know, you will need to use the terminal (commandline in windoze) to connect with this. In fact, the best way to accomplish things in Linux is with the terminal. You should become familiar with the terminal, if you want to be a Linux user.

Your posts are rather cryptic and unclear. If you want help, please be specific. You should also give as much information as you can on the hardware and software that you want help with. Tell me exactly what is it you are doing and exactly what are the errors you are getting.