Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, not only am I a novice when it comes to computers, but my friend just gave me a Dell "toaster" with Linux installed, and I need a hopefully inexpensive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless internet hardware for Ubuntu

Hi, not only am I a novice when it comes to computers, but my friend just gave me a Dell "toaster" with Linux installed, and I need a hopefully inexpensive wireless internet hardware thing so I can ride the internets. Where would I get one and a compatable driver. Please help.

Linux Guru
    Unfortunately, there is no way to guarantee in advance that any card will work. I am not even aware of an up-to-date list of cards.

You see, in Linux, the drivers are based on the chipsets on the wireless card. No only do manufacturers NOT list the chipsets they use, anywhere. They often will change them and still use the same card model number, with a revision number added.

Here are some lists of cards. There is no way that these are the only cards that will work in Linux, but it's a start. For laptops, I would try to stick with the PCMCIA cards, as they have the same support as PCI cards.

Devices - Linux Wireless

Now for my personal experience. I have a Dell laptop that has built-in wireless. It turned out to be a Broadcom wireless, which is well supported in Linux. I also had a PCMCIA card that I got for a Windows laptop, which has since died. It is a Linksys WPC54G ver.3. When I popped into my Dell, it was immediately recognized as a Broadcom wireless and worked instantly. This was only because of the built-in Broadcom, the system was already configured.

Intel Pro Wireless is also well supported in Linux. Others can usually be made to work. It may be best to buy from a local retailer, so you can return it if you can't make it work.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.