Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Not that i know of but im not an expert in setting up internet. Its not really one of my strong points, im more into software programming than physical hardware. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Not that i know of but im not an expert in setting up internet. Its not really one of my strong points, im more into software programming than physical hardware. I tried, but could not connect to the internet. Even if i could, it would be impractical as im a different room to our primary modem.

Unless you have very rear hardware, the issues that you are having are very unusual. Most NICs are supported in Linux out of the box and the wireless card that you have is supported and should be just a matter of configuring the network.

The reason I wanted you to try a wired connection is because you need to install/re-install the wireless drivers and the best way to do that is through add/remove software. You get the repository error because there is no network connection.

I don't want to discourage you and I am confident we can get you on the net.

Lets try getting a wired connection.
    Plug in the network jack and you should be getting internet.
    Try pinging something . . . Google etc.
    if you get network go to addremove software and reinstall the wireless drivers.
    if you don't have network go system > administration > network and configure it from there.

If we cannot get anything to work you can try another distro or fedora 9 but lets hold off on that for now.

do i go straight from the wall to the pc? or do i go via my ISP's modem? when i tried to do it on Linux last time it said i had no modem installed on my computer.. Also, i have downloaded Fedora 9 and was thinking of installing it in the near future. Do you think perhaps i should just install Fedora 9? as it will probably recognize my wireless card and all i would need was some configuration help.

I just installed Fedora 9 on my laptop and it AGAIN RECOGNIZES the wireless card but without changing any settings it fails to connect to the internet when i TRY to activate the wireless. It goes "unable to determine IP". Can you guys help me in setting this up? Thank you for all the help. Its really appreciated.

Linux Guru
    I still say that this sounds like a firmware problem. Fedora won't provide the firmware for you like Ubuntu would.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I still say that this sounds like a firmware problem. Fedora won't provide the firmware for you like Ubuntu would.
    Yeah, it is probably is a firmware issue

Huntsman, are you using WEP, WPA1, or WPA2 ?

Geese

WEP.

But ive managed to install NDISwrapper on my computer, and install my correct device driver yet it stilll doesnt recognise my device. I have a separate Thread here discussing it:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...problem-2.html

I could still use some help and thanks for all the help geese and waterhead. Its really appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2