Find the answer to your Linux question:
Pardon, I'm not as technologically inclined as most people on this site, but I would like some help nonetheless. I have a Linux desktop that I just recently hooked up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

windowsxp/linux linksys internet connection problems

Pardon, I'm not as technologically inclined as most people on this site, but I would like some help nonetheless. I have a Linux desktop that I just recently hooked up to a WRT54G router and a Window XP desktop that is connected to a linksys adapter. I've never had problems with the devices, I just can't get my computers to see each other. I had the same problem with the Windows Vista and this Windows XP, which is why I decided to switch the router around to see if it would change anything. (I have the windows vista now hardwired to the router and it works just fine.) So basically, I'm just trying to get everyone to cooperate without having to drill a hole in the ceiling to manually hardwire everything. Also before anyone gets really technical, what are the basic settings I would need on my linux/windows xp that would allow them to share a connection? disregarding anything that could be wrong with either one, it would save a lot of energy especially if it was just technology getting ahead of me.

windows does not play nicely with Unix based OS's. You have to install samba on your linux box. There are MANY ways to set this up, so I would suggest going into your distro specific forum, and ask there how to setup and configure samba
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4