Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
How would i go about doing that? Excuse the newbie question....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How would i go about doing that? Excuse the newbie question.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman191 View Post
    How would i go about doing that? Excuse the newbie question.
    Do what, install NDISwrapper with YUM?

First, you need root privileges, so use su for that. Then run this command.
    Code:
    yum install ndiswrapper
    Code:
    yum install kmod-ndiswrapper
    This should install the NDISwrapper base package, and also the NDISwrapper kernel module. If it doesn't install both packages, then it won't work.

If it is about downloading Fedora 10, then I think that the traffic has died down by now. Yesterday I downloaded the both LiveCD versions (KDE & Gnome) and the complete install DVD. I don't use BT for this, because I have a fast internet connection.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

The question was about YUM but thanks for answering both. The torrent links now work. Thanks waterhead. I would have to be in the YUM directory to use the command wouldnt i?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    No. As long as you have obtained root privileges, using the su command, just run the command as I posted it.

You may want to update the system first. To do that, use YUM too. It will most likely take some time to update it, so don't do it if you are pressed for time.
    Code:
    yum -y upgrade
    The -y option will automatically answer yes to any question. If you would rather it asks permission, then remove the -y option. Also, don't do anything else with the computer while it is upgrading.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Another newbie question coming up. Or three. I dont need internet for the upgrade do i? What exactly is it upgrading? the Kernel? Yum? and what would the upgrade source be? OOOPS! sorry in my post about YUM directory. It was meant to be the ndiswrapper directory. Should i be in the ndiswrapper directory?

Linux Guru
    Yes, you need an internet connection to do anything with YUM. This thread has gotten long, so I don't remember if you have a wired internet connection or not.

The YUM upgrade will update the entire system. This includes the latest kernel available from the repositories. Since you will also be installing a kernel module for NDISwrapper, it is best to update the kernel first. Otherwise you would have to go through this process again, after an update.

I dont have a wired connection im afraid. Thats the reason for setting up the wireless. Can i still install ndiswrapper with yum without an internet connection? Perhaps could i build an rpm and run that? If that could work can you possibly tell me how?

Linux Guru
    You can still get the needed rpms from the Livna repository. Just download them and install them manually.

Index of /fedora/archive/8/i386/

This is assuming that you have the i386 version installed. You will need the ndiswrapper-1.53-1 rpm and the kmod-ndiswrapper-<kernel version> rpm. To find your kernel version, run this command.
    Code:
    uname -r

waterhead, i updated to Fedora 9 so i went to the fedora 9 i386 archive but my kernel version isnt listed. Kernel Version:
    2.6.25-14.fc9.i686. Which one should i use?

Nevermind waterhead. I found them. I think.

THe two files i downloaded are:
    kmod-ndiswrapper-1.53-4.lvn9.2.i686.rpm
    kmod-ndiswrapper-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686.PAE-1.52-30.lvn9.i686.rpm

are these the right files?

Thanks...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast