Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
I recently installed Fedora 8 onto a desktop computer and i use a USB Network adapter to connect to my homes wireless network. I had to install drivers on XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fedora 8 Wireless Problem

I recently installed Fedora 8 onto a desktop computer and i use a USB Network adapter to connect to my homes wireless network. I had to install drivers on XP to get the adapter to work but in Linux, the installation CD wont run for obvious reasons (.exe).
    The adaptor is: Buffalo NFiniti AirStation Wireless USB Adaptor.

Can anyone tell me how to install the drivers? or perhaps would it work under wine? I dont want to go the trouble of downloading it on another pc and transfering if its not going to work. Perhaps Ndiswrapper?

Thank you loads.

Linux Guru
    Post the output of these commands:
    Code:
    /sbin/lsusb
    Code:
    dmesg | grep firmware
    Code:
    /sbin/lsmod
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

heres the output of /sbin/lsusb:

Code:
    Bus 001  Device 003: ID 0411:00e8 Melco., Inc.
    Bus 001  Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 005  Device 002" ID 0d7d:0240 Phison Electronics Corp I/0-Magic/Transcend 6-In-1 care reader
    Bus 005  Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 004  Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003  Device 002: ID 062a:6102 Creative Labs

Linux Guru
    I'm having trouble finding any info on the chips in this device. Please post the output of this command, maybe it will tell us something.
    Code:
    lsusb -vd 0411:00e8
    Also, the output of the other commands could be helpful. The complete output of this command should be studied for any clues. Post it if you can.
    Code:
    dmesg
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Here are all the attached outputs of those commands. Dmesg is in 2 files as this website max .txt file limit was less than the total file size and please excuse their messiness. I couldn't seem to get them to stay in the terminal format. If there's a way to do this, tell me and ill happily re-do the commands. Thanks. I hope this helps.

I emailed the support of Buffalo and they said that they do not support Linux but i could try a Generic Driver based on the RALINK wi-fi 11n chipset. I dont know if that helps all.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux Guru
    Thanks for the info, it displays OK on my Linux box.

I only found one reference to a wireless device, in the lsusb output:
    Code:
    iManufacturer           1 Ralink
    If this is a wireless n card, I don't believe that there are drivers for n wireless in Linux. Here is the Linux driver download site of RaLink.
    Ralink Technology: Linux

There is also the web site of the Linux RaLink driver project. You can browse it for any info on your wireless.
    Main Page - Rt2x00Wiki

If there is any support for your wireless in the rt2x00 driver, it would be in the latest version from the rt2x00 git repository. You would download and compile it from the source code.

Your best bet would most likely be to use NDISwrapper. It uses the WinXP driver to connect in Linux

Linux Guru
    There may be support for this wireless in the RT2870USB driver that is found at the RaLink web site. You could give it a try and let us know.

Ralink Technology: Linux

Ive downloaded the driver you were thinking about waterhead. I succesfully make it but the last command of the install file generates the an error. the command is

Code:
    /sbin/ifconfig ra0 inet [IP ADDRESS] up.
    Here is the error i get.

Code:
    SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    ra0: unknown interface: No such device
    ra0: unknown interface: No such Device
    Does anybody know how to get around this error? if it helps, the cp command did not work. I had to manually create a wireless directory and a sub RT2870 directory in /etc. Attached is a copy of the installation instructions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux Guru
    Did the module load without error when you ran this command?
    Code:
    /sbin/insmod rt2870sta.ko
    Check for it (rt2870sta) in the output of this command:
    Code:
    lsmod
    You may need to load it with a more conventional command.
    Code:
    /sbin/modprobe rt2870sta
    Do this with root privileges (su) of course. You also may need to reboot after installation. Check for the module again after rebooting.

the module is in lsmod output. so it is uploaded.. but the command still doesnt work.. would it matter if my ip address was perhaps incorect?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast