Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by waterhead I would use the file in the /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices. But the files there are identical to the ones in the network-scripts folder. Change whatever you feel needs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I would use the file in the /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices. But the files there are identical to the ones in the network-scripts folder.

Change whatever you feel needs changing.

BOOTPROTO=static
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    IPADDR=<Put your static IP address here>

ESSID=<your wireless network name>
    NM_CONTROLLED=no
    Hey,

Thanks for the input man. I have tried this, it somehow broke my network conectivity. Perhaps I am doing somethign wrong or leaving out some entries of of this file. Do you know where I can find out the specifications for these entries so I know what can and should go there.

Just Joined!
    Hey,

Just reporting back. Everything works but I get this erro when I bring my network up or down:

Code:
    Error for wireless request "Set Encode"
    Set failed on device wlan0 ; invalid argument (8B2A)

I am sure it has to do with the ifcfig-wlan0 or keys-wlan0 scripts.

Any thoughts on what is casuing this or how to get rid of it?

Linux Guru
    Maybe this is about the encryption key. Read the iwconfig man pages about this:

key/enc[ryption]
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Maybe this is about the encryption key. Read the iwconfig man pages about this:

key/enc[ryption]
    Hey, Yes I checked this and still have no luck after playing with a few different settings.

I edited my ifcfg-wlan file to include settings for KEY and ENC but I can`t seem to figure out what is wrong. Perhaps it is related to the wpa_supplicant.conf file although I doubt this becuase this service starts up with out generating any errors.

Where can I go to see the errors log containing the errors from the ifup wlan0 command?

Althought my connection is working, I am concerned as it could be have security implications and I just feel like I need to understand what and why this error is occuring.

Any help is appreciated!

Linux Guru
    Depending on the type of encryption used, the key is entered in a different way.

For WEP I believe you can enter it with the iwconfig command. For WPA encryption, you must use wpa_supplicant. The wpa_supplicant.conf file is where the encryption key is put, in hex form. You can find the hex version of a text key using the wpa_passphrase command.
    Code:
    > wpa_passphrase
    usage: wpa_passphrase <ssid> [passphrase]
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Depending on the type of encryption used, the key is entered in a different way.

For WEP I believe you can enter it with the iwconfig command. For WPA encryption, you must use wpa_supplicant. The wpa_supplicant.conf file is where the encryption key is put, in hex form. You can find the hex version of a text key using the wpa_passphrase command.
    Code:
    > wpa_passphrase
    usage: wpa_passphrase <ssid> [passphrase]
    Yes that is correct and exactly what I have done. It is connecting with the wpa_supplicant service that is running on boot. I get no errors from this at all. It seems to be working well but when I use:
    Code:
    ifup wlan0
    I get this error:
    Code:
    Error for wireless request "Set Encode"
    Set failed on device wlan0 ; invalid argument (8B2A)
    So I am thinking the problem lies with the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file. Here is what is included in mine which is set up for static IP:
    Code:
    # Static IP Config
    TYPE=Wireless
    DEVICE=wlan0
    HWADDR=00:1e:58:9e:37:02
    CHANNEL=1
    RATE=54M
    ESSID=JAZZNET
    MODE=Managed
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=none
    BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
    IPADDR=192.168.1.200
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    DNS0=192.168.1.1
    NETWORK=192.168.1.0
    PEERDNS=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    USERCTL=no
    NM_CONTROLLED=no
    I also found this file named keys-wlan0 and this is the contents of that file although I have no ideal how that is used either since I assume wpa_supplicant handles the WPA encryption here is that file:
    Code:
    KEY=mypasswordinhexmypasswordinhexmypasswordinhexmypasswordinhex
    I am so lost any help is appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson Wonder View Post
    I also found this file named keys-wlan0 and this is the contents of that file although I have no ideal how that is used either since I assume wpa_supplicant handles the WPA encryption here is that file:
    Code:
    KEY=mypasswordinhexmypasswordinhexmypasswordinhexmypasswordinhex
    I am so lost any help is appreciated.
    This was the problem!!! I had to comment out this line and the error went away. I dawned on me that the keys-wlan0 file is used to pass a WEP encryption key to connection but since I have wpa_supplicant doing this for me, I need not have the file or any entry in this keys-wlan0 file. Since my connection already has accepted a WPA Key this file sending a second key, WEP type at that was giving the error.

Thanks for your help!

Linux Guru
    Good work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2