Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi my name is Paul & as you may have guessed i'm a newbie. Advice i need is more for a friend than me, though i may find it useful ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modem Advice

Hi my name is Paul & as you may have guessed i'm a newbie.

Advice i need is more for a friend than me, though i may find it useful in the future.

We both have eeepc notebooks on Linux. She got hers as she was impressed how compact it was. However we never thought about internet connection as i run mine from a wireless router on PC. However she has no such abilities, so wanting a Linux compatible mobile modem. I have heard there is at least one available, but needs Linux drivers loading? Any advice i can get to get her online would be appreciated.

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure what it is your looking for.

To connect a wireless to a wired LAN, you need an Access Point (AP). Some routers have an AP built in, but you can get just an AP too.

There are some wireless cards that can be used as an AP. My information says these drivers support AP mode:

b43 (Broadcom)
    ipw2200 (Intel)
    libertas_tf (Marvell)
    p54 (Intersil)

Also, Atheros chips supported by the MadWifi driver can be used as an AP.

There is also an Ad-Hoc mode that many more wireless cards can run as. I have not done this, and don't really understand it, but it may work for what you need. See this:

Ad-Hoc Wireless - What is Wireless Ad-Hoc Mode?

Check this web site out on the current drivers and the modes that they support:

Drivers - Linux Wireless
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Hi mrcrowley and welcome to the forums. If you're talking about with 56k modems then you're necessarily "wired" so I'd go with an external serial or USB modem. I use the Actiontec 56k external modem and have for years. Every now and then I'll hook it up and it still works flawlessly. Since it is a true modem, it's pretty much "plug and play" with Linux... at least mine has been with the numerous distros I've used it with over the years. You can find them pretty cheap now on Ebay. If you don't mind spending the extra cash, I'd buy one new if you can locate one.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies.

Sorry if i confused you!

Basically like win laptops, we basically want a dongle type modem or similar. Only other way my friend has is a mobile which won't be cheap, & more confusing than plug n play systems.

Linux Guru
    So then you are looking for a plain telephone type dialup modem?
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    So then you are looking for a plain telephone type dialup modem?
    Well ideally she wants bb speed but if thats only way then so be it. I did think of loading xp on instead. However been told its not stable on these machines.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrowley View Post
    Well ideally she wants bb speed but if thats only way then so be it. I did think of loading xp on instead. However been told its not stable on these machines.
    What is bb speed?

Dialup is not the only way. I still don't understand what it is you are looking for. What does she use for internet access for other computers?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    What is bb speed?

Dialup is not the only way. I still don't understand what it is you are looking for. What does she use for internet access for other computers?
    Broadband.

She has no other way of getting online. We know you can get portable modems for windows computers

USB Stick Data Device - Vodafone

Just cannot get one to work with Linux.

Linux Guru
    OK, you want mobile broadband.

I do believe these are supported in Linux. You need to know the specific type of card and connection your device is using. Some examples are GPRS, UMTS, and HSDPA. I also believe that this is referred to as a 3G network. A common maker of these is Huawei, and some of them are supported.

Wait a minute! Since you are on an Eee Pc, this should be easy. (I'm using a 901 right now).

I have the full desktop enabled on mine, so excuse me if I don't have the specifics exactly as you would find them on your Eee Pc. You want to start the Connection Wizard, it may be listed as "Create Connection". One of the options is "GSM/3G (UMTS)/HSDPA", this is the one you want. When you click "next", It will show the hardware that is on your system that supports this connection type. I don't have this type of hardware, so I can't help any further.

Let us know how this works out. I am considering getting something similar here in the states. It is from Cricket wireless, a new company.