Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All; Hi All; I'm having issues trying to setup a wireless device on my new Dell M6400 laptop. An lspci show this: 0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Centos5 - wireless card not recognized

Hi All;

Hi All;

I'm having issues trying to setup a wireless device on my new Dell M6400 laptop. An lspci show this:

0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 4232

If it's any help I originally installed Fedora 10 and it picked it up as part of the install

Ive installed centOS 5 (64bit) and ran a yum update.

I'd be interested in any help with recommended pcmcia wireless cards as well

Thanks in advance for any help

Linux Guru
    CentOS is not known to have very good wireless support. I know experienced Linux users who were unable to get their wireless to work on CentOS.

It still is possible to get it to work. It does seem to not even recognize the card. You could try upgrading the kernel, but it may not help much. Then install the latest open-source wireless drivers. You can get then from here:

Download - Linux Wireless

It contains four Intel wireless drivers. All four of the drivers require firmware installed before they will work properly. There is different firmware for each driver. If you don't know which firmware you need, you may find out which the system is looking for by running this command (after you install the drivers & reboot):
    Code:
    dmesg | grep firmware
    If your wireless requires a non open-source driver, then you may need to get the driver from a different source.

A good way to get the info on the wireless is to run the Fedora LiveCD. Check the output of lspci/lsusb and also lsmod. Even the dmesg command I listed above will tell you what firmware it needs. You can then use that info to set it up in CentOS.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.