Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Would it also be possible to purchase an EXTERNAL wireless reciever with out-ethernet ports so i could connect to the internet through an ethernet cable leading into a wireless reciever ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Would it also be possible to purchase an EXTERNAL wireless reciever with out-ethernet ports so i could connect to the internet through an ethernet cable leading into a wireless reciever connected to my network?

depmod -a
    modprobe ra0
    su
    ifconfig

any luck?

Nope.. no luck.. i still get no scan ressults for iwlist scanning on ra0... any other ideas?

ive been trying to get internet on this pc, in various distros, in various forms for over 3 months.. im so sick of it now. i jut want to get it over and done with...

Couple things

Are we able to eliminate a hardware issue? has the card worked on other machines?

I see that you're using the driver from the cards' chipset manufacturer, just to eliminate that being an issue try to configure the windows driver using ndiswrapper. to do so copy the windows .inf file to your root directory and then in a terminal window cd to it.

ndiswrapper -i (driver).inf
    depmod -a
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    su
    ifconfig

Ok. ill download ndiswrapper and tell you how it goes. and its not a hardware related issue because once i installed the drivers that came on a disc with the device onto Windows XP, the device worked perfectly.

The strange thing was that it was working, i log out, log back in and what do you know, its not working again. rrr.

I was a bit reluctant to try Ndiswrapper, as ive had plenty of trouble with ndiswrapper, and a good months work on this forum didnt get my anywhere.. i went ahead and did it. and again. i get the same errors during make and make install

Code:
    make[3]: *** [/home/remy/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/remy/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux/headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/remy/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53#
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    Any ideas how to fix this????

I have a deep grudge against ndiswrapper.

Yeah

I don't blame you... it's a useful tool if given no alternative, but a native driver is so much better.

That's the second time I've seen a similar error posted today... might want to try an older version. I wouldn't go chasing ndiswrapper's tail too much though just to confirm a driver is or isn't working.

On your network, have you tried temporarily eliminating security/encryption to see what happens?

Also are you able to connect this computer to any other network wirelessly?

What kind of security/encryption do you use?

I couldn't see any other networks so i couldn't connect, after getting back from hols (the delay) i booted up the pc, and it recognized the wireless card and my encrypted and un-encrypted networks, i try to connect to the UN-encrypted network, and it again get stuck on "Obtaining IP address". Usually, i use WEP.

Any ideas how to get past Obtaining IP address?

Linux Guru
    I am beginning to wonder if you have the correct driver. You said that you downloaded and installed the driver. Where did you get the driver from?

Edit: Oops, for a while I thought that you had a Realtek wireless.
    Last edited by waterhead; 12-30-2008 at 04:47 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

I cant find the exact site, it was some japanese blog i found on google (in english of course), which showed how the owner of this blog had got my wireless USB working on Ubuntu linux and showed the steps using the RT2870STA driver. I think waterhead you perhaps suggested this when i was using Fedora, and it seemed to be the right driver. Wouldnt it have to be the right driver if it was succesfullly scanning for networks? or could it not have full compatibilty with the device?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast