Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
I had to fresh install Ubuntu, so i tried one last time to get the native driver working. I followed the Ubuntu forums but im stuck on insmod. The file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I had to fresh install Ubuntu, so i tried one last time to get the native driver working. I followed the Ubuntu forums but im stuck on insmod. The file exists in GNOME however it has a padlock on it and when i try insmod or modprobe it says

Code:
    insmod: error inserting rt2870sta.ko: -1 File exists.
    Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    I gave a try at building this driver. It seemed to go oK, but when I ran this command:
    Code:
    insmod ./os/linux/rt2870sta.ko
    I got an error message about an uknown symbol. Looking at dmesg, I see this:
    Code:
    rt2870sta: Unknown symbol there_is_no_init_MUTEX_LOCKED_for_RT_semaphores
    If you look at the Ubuntu Forums page that I linked to, someone already posted a fix for this.

Open this file in a text editor:
    2008_0925_RT2870_Linux_STA_v1.4.0.0/include/rtmp.h

There are three statements that look like this:
    Code:
        //======Semaphores (event)
        struct semaphore            mlme_semaphore;            /* to sleep thread on    */
        struct semaphore            RTUSBCmd_semaphore;        /* to sleep thread on    */
        struct semaphore            RTUSBTimer_semaphore;
    #ifdef INF_AMAZON_SE
        struct semaphore            UsbVendorReq_semaphore;
        PVOID                        UsbVendorReqBuf;
    #endif // INF_AMAZON_SE //
    Change it to look like this:
    Code:
        //======Semaphores (event)
        struct compat_semaphore            mlme_semaphore;            /* to sleep thread on    */
        struct compat_semaphore            RTUSBCmd_semaphore;        /* to sleep thread on    */
        struct compat_semaphore            RTUSBTimer_semaphore;
    #ifdef INF_AMAZON_SE
        struct compat_semaphore            UsbVendorReq_semaphore;
        PVOID                        UsbVendorReqBuf;
    #endif // INF_AMAZON_SE //
    What you do is change every instance of struct semaphore to struct compat_semaphore. I was then able to compile it, run insmod, and load it with modprobe. I did have to do the make and make install commands with root privileges (sudo)
    Last edited by waterhead; 01-07-2009 at 12:47 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman191 View Post
    I had to fresh install Ubuntu, so i tried one last time to get the native driver working. I followed the Ubuntu forums but im stuck on insmod. The file exists in GNOME however it has a padlock on it and when i try insmod or modprobe it says

Code:
    insmod: error inserting rt2870sta.ko: -1 File exists.
    Any ideas?
    Look in the output of dmesg for for more information about modprobe and insmod errors. You should look after you have tried the commands, and got the error.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

i followed your advice, i got a error during make that ive seen plenty of times error 1 and 2 however make install went perfectly and insmod worked. Howeer, when i tried to repeat insmod it said -1 file exists. DOnt know if thats relevant or not. Anyways.

however, i still have no listed wireless device under iwlist and still no internet. i checked dmesg and i got at the end:

Code:
    [   418.477646] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2870
    ifconfig ra0 up said there was no device named ra0 and rt2870sta is listed under lsmod. Any ideas waterhead?

Linux Guru
    I've been trying to figure out how you could manually add the card. I'm not sure, but you could try a few things. Some of the things that I found may not apply to newer versions of Ubuntu, though.

In the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules there needs to be a rule assigning ra0 to the wireless, using the MAC address. Maybe you could try adding it.
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    I don't have an example of how it should look. You may be able to get the MAC address with the lshw command.

The other thing to try is to add it to the /etc/network/interfaces file.
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/network/interfaces
    Once again I am not sure about this, but here is some info on what should be in it.
    /etc/network/interfaces Ubuntu Linux networking example

ive tried adding lines to both files. I doubt there 100% correct and i cant find much info on them. Any last ideas?

Linux Guru
    You should try NDISwrapper. It uses the card's WindowsXP driver (no Vista drivers) to make the wireless work. You will need to remove the driver that you just installed.

If you install NDISwrapper from a repository, you will need two parts. The one is just NDISwrapper, the other is the kernel module for NDISwrapper. The module must match your kernel version.

ive installed Mandriva 2009, for one reason, that it comes with ndiswrapper pre-installed however, as usual with my wireless device, im running into some problems and maybe you could help me. I go to set up a wireless device, go onto the cd that came with my device, into drivers, find my device, and select the correct .inf file (ucg300n.inf).

I found this out by installing the device onto a windows computer, going into device manager and looking at driver details. Howeer, it listed ucg300n.sys and in the ucg300n folder there is an .inf, 2 .sys and a .cat file. When i select it (.inf only) and load it gives me the following message:

Code:
    Unable to find the ndiswrapper interface
    {CLICK OK}
    Unable to find network interface for selected device (using ndiswrapper driver).
    And when i clicked load it said that the device had already been configured by usbcore driver. dont know what that means.

Any ideas??

Linux Guru
    What version of Windows are you running?

As for the error, maybe Mandriva has a driver already loaded for it. Check lsmod, and maybe post it.

I did it on Vista but the directory structure on the cd was as follows:

CD/Drivers/ucg300n then i had a choice of xp or vista AND the driver file names were the same. both netucg3n.

Ill try and have a go on XP today. About the pre-loaded driver, when i do iwlist scanning, or lsusb my device isnt recognised. Ill post lsmod in about an hour.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast