Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, So I've been using Fedora 10 for a month now, and just yesterday I installed Vista out of my frustration with the network compatibility issues with my laptop. Currently, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry How can i change my dirver for my wifi card? ...ndiswrapper

Hi, So I've been using Fedora 10 for a month now, and just yesterday I installed Vista out of my frustration with the network compatibility issues with my laptop.

Currently, I have dual boot (Vista and F10).

The problem is, F10 already has a driver for my network card, but it's not really the proper one (F10 has installed RTL8187, whereas the one I need installed is RTL8187B)

I have the files necessary for installing the driver via ndiswrapper (.inf and .sys files) but I can't get ndiswrapper to compile!

Here's what I've done:

1. Extracted the downloaded ndiswrapper tar
    2. CD into the extracted directory
    3. I run 'make install', and get the following error:

Code:
    [root@fedra ndiswrapper-1.53]# make install
    make -C driver install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'

*** WARNING: This kernel uses 4K stack size option
    (CONFIG_4KSTACKS); many Windows drivers will not work
    with this option enabled. Disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS
    in kernel's .config file, recompile and install kernel

make -C /usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 M=/home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver
    make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686'
      CC [M]  /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.o
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c: In function ‘ndis_translate_scan’:
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_value’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_value’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 5 of ‘iwe_stream_add_value’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_value’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    make[3]: *** [/home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686'
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver'
    make: *** [install] Error 2
    [root@fedra ndiswrapper-1.53]#
    I can't even get the darn thing to compile, and I've searched all over online for an answer and can't find one that uses enough laymen terms for me =( I'm a newbie, can anyone help me out before I completely revert back to Vista?? =(

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm pretty sure the RTL8187 covers the RTL8187B, as well:

rtl8187 - Linux Wireless
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm pretty sure the RTL8187 covers the RTL8187B, as well:

rtl8187 - Linux Wireless
    On Vista (using the driver that came on the factory CD), my internet connection is superb, and I get connection speeds that I would get if I was connected via ethernet cable.

On the other hand, using F10 (preinstalled driver), my internet connection is very very weak, and sometimes my connection even drops. I get horrible connection speeds (40X slower than Vista).

For this reason, I wanted to use the factory CD instead of the preinstalled driver.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ./configure
    make
    su make install

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanan View Post
    ./configure
    make
    su make install
    Here's the output I got:

./configure
    Code:
    [sirus@fedra ndiswrapper-1.53]$ make
    make -C driver

make -C /usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686 M=/home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver
      LD      /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/built-in.o
      MKEXPORT /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/crt_exports.h
      MKEXPORT /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/hal_exports.h
      MKEXPORT /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/ndis_exports.h
      MKEXPORT /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/ntoskernel_exports.h
      MKEXPORT /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/ntoskernel_io_exports.h
      MKEXPORT /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/rtl_exports.h
      MKEXPORT /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/usb_exports.h
      CC [M]  /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/crt.o
      CC [M]  /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/hal.o
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c: In function ‘ndis_translate_scan’:
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_event’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_event’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_value’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_value’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 5 of ‘iwe_stream_add_value’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_value’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 3 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 4 of ‘iwe_stream_add_point’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/sirus/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: error: too few arguments to function ‘iwe_stream_add_point’
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    su make install
    Code:
    [sirus@fedra ndiswrapper-1.53]$ su make install
    su: user make does not exist
    [sirus@fedra ndiswrapper-1.53]$ su
    Password: 
    [root@fedra ndiswrapper-1.53]# make install
    make -C driver install

make: *** [install] Error 2
    [root@fedra ndiswrapper-1.53]#

Linux Guru
    FYI: You can't use vista drivers with ndiswrapper, they have to be XP drivers.

If you feel that you really need to install ndiswrapper, just enable the rpmfusion repository and install it from that.

RPM Fusion - RPM Fusion

If they don't have a kernel module that matches your kernel, install one of their kernels that has a matching ndiswrapper module. There is also the ATrpms repository.

ATrpms
    Last edited by waterhead; 12-23-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.