Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Yup, did that already. It's there....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yup, did that already. It's there.

Linux Guru
    Post the output of this command.
    Code:
    iwconfig
    It will list any wireless devices.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    lo no wireless extensions

eth0 no wireless extensions

pan0 no wireless extensions

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Your wireless still isn't being detected. I'm at a loss what to do next.

Maybe you could manually create a config file for it in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/. I have a ifcfg-wlan0 file for my Atheros wireless, that looks like this.
    Code:
    # Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
    DEVICE=wlan0
    HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00
    ONBOOT=no
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    USERCTL=yes
    IPV6INIT=no
    NM_CONTROLLED=yes
    TYPE=Wireless
    PEERDNS=yes
    MODE=Managed
    RATE=auto
    ESSID=
    CHANNEL=
    You do need to find the MAC address and put it in the HWADDR= line.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Hi-

I tried manually making a config file, and this seems to have had no effect. (And yes, I did put in my computer's MAC address.)

Is setting up wireless in Linux always this difficult? Maybe there is something that is really obvious to you, so obvious that you wouldn't think to even give instructions about it, that is not obvious to me.

If you can think of anything, please let me know! Otherwise, thanks for your help!

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure what else to try. Setting up a wireless can be very simple, but sometimes it's a royal pain. It usually depends on the cad that you are using. I think that yours is a wireless-n type, and support is very new for that.

I would recommend that you try NDISwrapper. It will use the WindowsXP driver for your card, provided you can find one. Vista drivers will not work. You need to remove any other driver that is loading for the wirless.

By the way, the MAC address needed in the config file is the one for the wireless network card. Each network device has a unique MAC address.

One other thing is to try a newer version of Fedora, as 10 is the latest. Or try a completely different distro, like Suse or Ubuntu. I still don't think the wireless will work without some configuring, though.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to upgrade to Fedora 10 this weekend and see what effect that has.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3