Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi. Miocene. Sorry you are having trouble. Do from the command line: Code: lsmod Do you even see bcm43xx listed anywhere there? If so, you can also do: Code: sudo ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hi. Miocene. Sorry you are having trouble. Do from the command line:
    Code:
    lsmod
    Do you even see bcm43xx listed anywhere there? If so, you can also do:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r bcm43xx
    which temporarily removes the module. To remove it so it won't reload every time you reboot, you'll have to blacklist it, but first let's get you going with ndiswrapper. Did you install it? This looks like a pretty good direction for getting it installed without Internet: Link
    Once it is installed, carefully follow this in depth tutorial to get the Windows driver you downloaded installed. It is very detailed, going into just about every conceivable contingency, but if you get ndiswrapper installed on your system properly, you can jump down and start at sections 3.4.1 to 3.4.2.

Let us know how far you get.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    OK I know this has been a long time since I started this but since ages ago I decided to give it another shot.

I have successfully installed both ndiswrapper and the drivers (as far as I know) but I cant connect to any networks.

The network box doesn't list any although when I do iwconfig I get this:

Code:
    harryg@ubuntu:~$ iwconfig

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"D-Link ADSL Router"

Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated
                  Tx-Power=0 dBm
                  Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B 
                  Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
                  Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
                  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

Just Joined!
    Anyone, please?

If you are stuck on running Ubuntu, I won't be of much help to ya. Dapper Dan and the guys have that part pretty much under control. But since I noticed your first name is harry from your terminal readouts, I thought I might make this suggestion. I run NimbleX 2008 using a Belkin F5D 7010 PCMCIA Wireless G Cardbus. Worked right after Bootup. You might try downloading it and test driving it to see what ya think. Otherwise stick with Dan's and the other guy's helping you with Ubuntu. NimbleX can be ran Live by the way.

NimbleX - The New Wave of Linux ! - Download
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    NimbleX looks good, but I'm just beginning to get accustomed to Xubuntu.
    I'm wondering, as I'm still on 8.04, will updating to 8.10 make it work? i.e. are the drivers included in the most recent release?

PS. As NimbleX uses KDE does it mean it will run quite slow as KDE is quite demanding? my laptop is quite old and not very fast, even on Xubuntu.

As the Name implies, NimbleX is one of the fastest KDE distros out there. I run it on a 500 mhz, 128 mb, 6 gig H/D Laptop with no problems. Like I said, for the price of 1 cd it's worth a go. You'll probably be suprised how fast it does run.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

As far as upgrading to Xubuntu 8.10, I don't know as I run it on a desktop running a land line, and its been retired for the moment. I am corresponding right now on Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop computer, running a land line. My Panasonic Cf-48 Laptop uses a intel chip for wireless, so it pretty much worked out of the box. My other Laptop running Puppy Dingo uses a Dlink WNA 1330 Wireless G Cardbus. Had to set that one up in Puppy but it was easy using the Puppy wireless tools and the help file page in the distro.

I might also suggest you close out this thread and open a new one in the wireless section of the forum. Just a suggestion though. If you decide to follow advice follow these instructions mhttp://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wireless-internet/137532-wireless-setup-start-here.htmly before posting your new thread there. Good luck in whatever you decide on doing.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

Broadcom BCM4306 wifi in Xubuntu

Hi there, I'm having trouble getting my Belkin 54g wifi card (which has BCM4306 chipset) working in Xubuntu.

I have got ndiswrapper installed and I loaded some drivers but I cant connect to any networks. I did iwconfig and it returned this:

Code:
    harryg@ubuntu:~$ iwconfig

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"D-Link ADSL Router"

Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: Not-Associated
                  Tx-Power=0 dBm
                  Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B 
                  Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
                  Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
                  Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    I'm thinking the either drivers aren't working or I've done something wrong. Where can I find drivers that have been proven to work with this chipset?
    I also cant install ndisgtk as its not in sypnatic. Is there a command line way to install ndisgtk?

Edit:sorry about the double post - I meant to start a new thread but got confused!

Edit2:
    Edit: when I do "iwlist scan" I get "No scan results". Which I'm guessing measn it tries to scan but cant pick anything up. There is a wireless network within range because the computer I'm typing this on is using it

Linux Guru
    As already pointed out, your wireless uses the Linux native driver b43.
    b43 - Linux Wireless.

In Ubuntu, you can do this just by opening the "Hardware Drivers" GUI and enabling the driver. It will then download and install the firmware, so a wired internet connection is needed.

The driver does need firmware installed before it will work properly

If you also installed NDISwrapper, then the two drivers will conflict with each other, and the wireless won't work. I recommend uninstalling NDISwrapper and using the b43 driver.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I just upgraded the RAM and for the first time the "propriotory hardware" thingy flashed up and it installed it no probs and it works great now. Wonder why it didnt come up before.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast