Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. The changes of the new 2.6.28 kernel include a new wireless regularity infrastructure. I read it on a news site and found this: Regulatory - Linux Wireless Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[2.6.28]How does the wireless regularity infrastructure detect the country you're in?

Hello everyone.

The changes of the new 2.6.28 kernel include a new wireless regularity infrastructure. I read it on a news site and found this:

Regulatory - Linux Wireless

Now I want to know how the thing works. How does it detect the country you're in? Can you change it? When you travel you probably want to use wlan in the other country.

I didn't found information on how the country's detected and how to change it. Can anyone help me, please?

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    I had always heard that the wireless regulatory info was in the device firmware. This is why it usually is only available as a binary file, so that people can't mess with it. I am not aware of different firmware for different regions, so how it determines this is still a mystery.

Wait, it looks like the CRDA is responsible for doing this. Read this section about it.

CRDA - Linux Wireless
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.