Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a wirelss laptop that I would like to connect to my pc (linux or *bsd) that is connected to the internet via cable modem. What do I need ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] wireless to cable network connection

I have a wirelss laptop that I would like to connect to my pc (linux or *bsd) that is connected to the internet via cable modem. What do I need to buy for the pc to accomplish this.
    I'm not familiar with wireless. I have been connecting the laptop to internet with the nic that is in it.
    I'm now getting tired of swapping cables

Thanks.

btw- the laptop uses the bw4318 driver and does work on Windows which is what my wife uses.

Linux Guru
    You will need a wireless router, or wireless access point. If you already have a router (non wireless), you can then add an access point. If you don't already have a router, then a router with wireless included is what you need. The router goes in between the modem and the PC or LAN.

As for the wireless bw4318. Are you sure that it isn't bcm4318?

Read through this stickied thread, and provide the info, so we can get the wireless to work.

Wireless Setup - Start Here

If it is a bcm4318, you need to install firmware for it to work. The best way to do that is different, depending on the Linux distribution that you are using. So, please also tell us what distribution that it is you are using.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Thank-you very much.
    Ordered a linksys wireless router.
    Marking this thread solved