Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been sucessful using Ubuntu's default tool to connect to my wireless network, using standard security like TKIP. I can not connect to any password protected network using iwconfig. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Only GUI password entry works

I have been sucessful using Ubuntu's default tool to connect to my wireless network, using standard security like TKIP. I can not connect to any password protected network using iwconfig. I can connect to almost any unprotected network using either method, however. I enter in the same password the same way in either tool, but Gnome's wireless password entry tool is of late the only effective way to connect. When I latter use the password tool from Gnome to find my password it appears much different. Does this mean that Gnome changes the password into hex or something? Is there another explanation why iwconfig fails to connect to any password protected network?

Linux Guru
    The commands found in the wireless-tools package do not support WPA encryption. You need to add the wpa_supplicant application to connect using the commands. You then can only connect to WPA connections that are pre-configured in your wpa_supplicant.conf file.

This works, but is a rather clumsy way to connect to a wireless network. Is there a reason that you don't want to use the NetworkManager GUI?
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Actually there is a reason to avoid the GUI. I have a pentium III laptop: 500 Mhz with 256 MB so using the GUI way means I have to use Gnome and that becomes enough of a memory hog to cause my computer to freeze at times. If I use fluxbox or fvwm the situation is much better, and my computer is responsive enough most of the time.

I'll research WPA supplicant so thank you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    You may want to try Wicd.

wicd - home
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.